Author Topic: Having some summer fun with a 1961 A7  (Read 555 times)

Offline azcaveman

• Moving Up
  • Retired techo geek
Having some summer fun with a 1961 A7
« on: 26.08. 2020 18:55 »
A few weeks ago my next door neighbor and I pushed his dad's 61 Flash down the street and into my driveway for some resto work. His dad bought it brand new while in his 20's and parked it in his garage 20+ years ago. It is a family project with dad and some of his sons. The owner asked his wife-to-be out on a motorcycle ride for their first date so it is pretty special to them. Now he wants to get it running so he can give rides to the grand kids.

Of course I'm having some issues since I've never touched a Brit bike but it is in surprisingly good shape for its age. My first question is what should I watch for to make sure it is safe to ride--assuming I get it up and running again. <grin>

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Having some summer fun with a 1961 A7
« Reply #1 on: 26.08. 2020 22:16 »
welcome *welcome* my contribution to your question about safety is ,,,, wait for it *bright idea* . make sure the brake linings are well fastened to the shoe's and operation of them slows you down and brings you to a stop. now I await the grumblings from those who think that isn't the way that question should be addressed.  a logical answer will rise from the depths of those who are more knowledgeable and worthy than i *lol* *lol*

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.08. 2020 00:06 »
New tyres to start with

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 27.08. 2020 04:30 »
G'day azcaveman  *welcome*
Very good of you to give him a hand and extra good to see the young fella helping too.
Next in line to burger's and orabanda's suggestions are the brake cables, steering head and wheel bearings.
But it looks like your well on the way for a full rebuild.
There's plenty of reading material on the forum but feel free to ask any questions you need.
Happy spannering.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline azcaveman

• Moving Up
  • Retired techo geek
« Reply #4 on: 27.08. 2020 13:49 »
Thanks for the advice. New tires are on order. Bearings are out of the rear but I'm having trouble removing the front drum. I read it should come out after removing large circlip but no go.
I was not sure about removing the steering column without special tools. Is there a way to check it without removal?

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #5 on: 27.08. 2020 21:32 »
G'day az.
Usually done with tubes in, grab them and check for fore and aft movement. If there is a simple adjustment so no play and no drag is achieved.
Turn the steering head (triple clamps) side to side. If it feels notchy they need replacement.
If they need replacement he option of going tapered rollers is there. That choice is entirely yours.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 27.08. 2020 21:57 »
Thanks for the advice. New tires are on order. Bearings are out of the rear but I'm having trouble removing the front drum. I read it should come out after removing large circlip but no go.
I was not sure about removing the steering column without special tools. Is there a way to check it without removal?
For removing the drum, it just needs the nut 42-5842 on the drawing below to undo. If still stuck, maybe the shoes have bonded to the drum from standing? If so, it’s a question of patient perseverance to get it out.
The play in the steering column can be tested by lifting the front wheel off the ground and moving the handlebars to the left and right to feel for “notchyness”. Grabbing the forks and pulling and pushing them should show if there’s play in the bearings. There should be none.
For dismantling the steering column, the forks need to be removed. Big chance the bearings are still the original setup with loose rollers. While the steering column is apart it’s a wise move to change the rollers for conical bearings. They are readily available from most parts dealers.
Taking out the forks ain’t complicated, unscrew the top nuts but leave them in for a couple of turns , and loosen the clamp bolts on the bottom clamp. A sharp tap on the top nut will free the fork stanchion from the taper hole in the top clamp.
For dismantling the forks you just need a tool for unscrewing the fork seal holders (the chrome parts of the forks). It can be done with a strap wrench on the outside, but the tool makes the job easier. While you’re at it, check the fork bushes in the sliders. They are held by a circlip which need to be prised out ( can be a real PITA! )
Another tool will be needed to pull the forks in the clamps again. I made one myself  that screws in the top of the stanchions and has a threaded hole for a long bolt to pull up the stanchions but some people have succeeded by jamming a broomstick in the stanchions to pull them up.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline azcaveman

• Moving Up
  • Retired techo geek
« Reply #7 on: 28.08. 2020 00:20 »
Thanks guys! I misunderstood the directions for front hub removal. It is now out and the bearing soaking in solvent. The front forks feel smooth while moving them so I may not mess with them but I'm pretty bad about taking out anything than moves.  *smile*

I'd also like to remove and clean the dynamo chain but there's no space for my gear pullers. I tried a large gear puller on the back side of the case behind the sprocket but did not feel comfortable with any significant force on the aluminum. It's been soaking in penetrate for a week and will not budge.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #8 on: 28.08. 2020 00:44 »
that sprocket is taper fit, you could try a brass drift and hammer and shock it off *eek* like a car ball joint taper *bash*

Offline azcaveman

• Moving Up
  • Retired techo geek
« Reply #9 on: 28.08. 2020 03:59 »
I've been smacking it but I might need something harder instead of brass--maybe my noggin?  *problem*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 28.08. 2020 08:19 »
G'day az.
Might be a good time to post questions in the relevant places.
 Swarfy does it the same as I
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=13293.msg115633#msg115633
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline azcaveman

• Moving Up
  • Retired techo geek
« Reply #11 on: 28.08. 2020 14:52 »
Yes. I was thinking we quickly moved into the technical realm.
You linked to "What have you done with your bike". Was that a result of a search for "dynamo chain"? It seems that this topic would be in the technical area. I'm new and trying to learn how to navigate the forum and how to search for existing answers.
Thanks for your help.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #12 on: 28.08. 2020 21:17 »
G'day az.
Thanks for understanding.
The link I gave should have taken you to Swarfys way of getting a stubborn dynamo drive sprocket off.
Yes that's how I got the link. The better search button is the one arrowed in this pic. We suggest members use this before posting a question as most have already been covered. Then if the answer is not given or not understood please post a question in the appropriate board.
Clear as mud! Don't worry It took me a while as well.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7