Author Topic: lacing a rear wheel..  (Read 930 times)

ironhead

Re: lacing a rear wheel..
« Reply #15 on: 17.09. 2020 09:58 »
7''19/32 as the longer spoke is 200mm as near as. All the spokes I have are mm or so over that, so its more likely me and not the wrong spoke length. The originals are about 1 mm longer than the replacements..
I'll start the process again!

Are you fitting a new rim?  I have found that at least one of the suppliers haven't rolled the well as deep as the originals. ( it makes the rim a little further from the hub, requiring longer spokes ) but try lacing again, If when you've finished all the spoke ends are roughly level with the entrance of the dimple it should be ok. If they are lower you may need to get some a bit longer.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 17.09. 2020 10:00 »
If the difference in length is 1mm you can bet that BSA would have originally used one spoke for both.

ironhead

« Reply #17 on: 17.09. 2020 10:25 »
 29/32 - 27/32 = 2/32 = 1/16 = 1.5875mm.  The rim on a plunger B33 rear is off center slightly to the hub towards the sprocket , hence the different length spokes. A10's central ( same length.) A rule Iv'e used after 40 years of wheel building is : symetric hub, even length spokes = rim to center of hub.  Symetric hub, odd length spokes = rim set to the shorter side. The amount varies. Always important to measure the off-set before using the bolt cutters *eek*

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 17.09. 2020 10:34 »
Thanks Ironhead... I should let Feked know!

ironhead

« Reply #19 on: 17.09. 2020 10:39 »
Thanks Ironhead... I should let Feked know!

*spider* *conf2* *sleepy* These would probably be the response

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
lacing a rear wheel..
« Reply #20 on: 17.09. 2020 16:38 »
Success... I started again, laced all the outer spokes both sides first and the inner.. you're probably saying thats how it should be done..now I know...
Loosely tightened, the rim is fairly true on the hub to the eye. The amount of thread showing on the inner spokes is a lot less than the inner.. I'll try truing and tightening everything up next..
I haven't had that 'immensely satisfying moment' described by many building wheels..maybe it will come?
thank you all - I would probably have given up without the help and knowledge shared,
Guy