Author Topic: RRT2 Kickstart Lever Position  (Read 1538 times)

Offline r3sc

• Moving Up
RRT2 Kickstart Lever Position
« on: 23.09. 2020 18:03 »
Hello All,

In a previous post regarding a non starting A10 engine I briefly mentioned the annoyance caused by the kickstart lever on the RRT2 gearbox on this A10, leaning forward towards the front of the bike when at rest.

I have removed the outer cover to try to rectify this issue and when I did I discovered damaged gear teeth on the ratchet so both ratchet components along with the brass bush were replaced with new. The kickstart quadrant was as new and undamaged.

I could not see any way of rotating the position of the kickstart lever anti clockwise but it was suggested in my previous posts that -

“Depending on construction the kickstart quadrant can be moved round on the splines. Possible with pressed on construction, brazed up variants no chance.“

How do i check the construction of the items in question? Does the gearbox have to come out and be stripped down totally?

One other issue is that sometimes the kickstart lever jams in the downward position and will only spring back up if the bike is put in gear and rocked back and forwards.

All and any input/help would be very welcome.

Regards.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: RRT2 Kickstart Lever Position
« Reply #1 on: 23.09. 2020 20:59 »
 The kickstart shaft is splined onto the quadrant, in some cases just pressed on. Here the shaft can be removed from the quadrant and the relative positions changed. Others are brazed up construction, so this is not possible.

Removing the outer gearbox cover  exposes the kickstart quadrant, you will see which sort you have. The inner cover has a quadrant stop, the retaining nut can be felt at the back of the inner cover where it joins the main case. Is yours in place or sheared off allowing the quadrant to return too far clockwise?

Jamming is most often caused by damaged teeth. If you have changed the ratchet, then all should be fine. The quadrant and ratchet come with either flat or pointy teeth (early and later types) and do not mix. This has been a topic already considered, and is in the Forum Gearbox Section. Parts incorrectly ordered or supplied were the ultimate answer.

Swarfy.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 23.09. 2020 21:17 »
G'day r3s.
1st suggestion is have you got the cotter pin in from the right direction? The correct way is in from the back (nut close to the inspection cover).
I had the reverse problem with the Cafe. Needed the kicker moved forward. Tried re-positioning the quad on the spline but went too far. I grooved the quad where it rests against the stop pin.
I recently bought a new quad. It is fixed (one piece with shaft),not splined. Also pointy not flat teeth.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline r3sc

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 23.09. 2020 22:11 »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that! Most excellent explanations and I’m now up to speed and know what I’m looking for.

I seem to remember that the one I have is not splined so it could be that the stop has been sheared off.

I’ll look at it again to confirm.

Thank you very much for the answers I needed.

Regards.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.09. 2020 22:39 »
You're quadrant is most likely the one used with rear sets.
I think that you will have to change the quadrant for the common type.

Offline r3sc

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 24.09. 2020 09:16 »
Hi,

How do I identify the standard quadrant in relation to the one for rear sets? Is there a specific part number for the common item?

Does anyone have any comparison photos of both items?

Many Thanks.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.09. 2020 10:23 »
Photo shows the forward leaning KS quadrant part 42 3163. Unlikely that the stop has broken off in your box.

Late type standard quadrant is part 42 3160.

ironhead

« Reply #7 on: 24.09. 2020 23:23 »
Photo shows the forward leaning KS quadrant part 42 3163. Unlikely that the stop has broken off in your box.

Late type standard quadrant is part 42 3160.

The Stop in this picture is a good example of a very badly flogged out hole. PO probably let the lever go at the bottom of the stroke &
returned under full spring tension many times  " thwack"  :o

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 26.09. 2020 06:22 »
Here’s a photo of both
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #9 on: 26.09. 2020 07:53 »
G'day Beeza.
To my eye (yes I only have one) it looks just to be moved around one spline. I tried that but it put the lever way too far forward and the position where it took up was also too far forward for a comfortable boot.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline r3sc

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 26.09. 2020 10:03 »
Hi Guys,

The one I’m working with is without the splines and looks like is machined in one piece. It does however look more like the one on the left with the flat sloping towards the right.

I should be able to get to the bike next week so I’ve got loads to look and and check based on all your comments.

I have to say that without stripping it again I can’t now be sure that there is a quadrant stop pin pressed into the case!?

Many Thanks.

Regards.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #11 on: 26.09. 2020 13:28 »
G'day r3sc.
The stop pin is held in by a nut on the outside of the casing. You should feel it putting a finger behind the case.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #12 on: 26.09. 2020 16:42 »
my rrt2 case had damage on the quadrant stop so the hole was made a bit bigger and a steel insert made with a recessed washer at the back , job sorted

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 27.09. 2020 02:47 »
Some more K/S shafts, you are right Musky, the splined ones do lean forward more, however I have run one of these on the RGS.
I don’t know what type I have in the RGS  now, the RRT2 box I put in it was a brand new never run unit, all the bearings were still  packed with grease! Also the quadrant varies on the middle one.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline r3sc

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 27.09. 2020 09:11 »
WOW, why so many variants?

It’s going to make sorting this issue more difficult.

Are all the ones in the previous two images covered by part numbers?

I do find those photos very helpful as it will make identifying the one I have easier.

Would all the ones in the photos fit into the same gearbox? Ie, are all the shaft diameters and lengths the same?

Thank you very much for posting.

Regards.