Author Topic: Petrol Tank  (Read 557 times)

Offline tony

• Moving Up
  • 1958 Super Rocket
Petrol Tank
« on: 26.09. 2020 18:40 »
I have noticed over the past few years that the inside of the petrol tank is bubbling up and peeling away.  As you can see the tank is in good condition as I had it professionally restored 25 years ago. I don't think the sealant was ethanol resistant then, or what was used then.  I don't want to be putting new sealant in there as the old stuff is peeeling away so it needs to be taken out.  Any ideas what to do?  I've seen something on the internet with some guy putting peashingle in the tank and leaving it in a cement mixer for a few hours, but that was for rust, but whats in my tank looks more rubbery. I think the restorers used "Slosh" tank sealer.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've attached two photos, one which shows the inside where its peeled away.
Every year I drain my petrol out so its not left standing as I don't ride it much.  Thanks, Tony.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Petrol Tank
« Reply #1 on: 26.09. 2020 21:51 »
G'day Tony.
first time I used a mix of paint stripper and acetone. Put it in a cement mixer for a few hours, turning over a few times. then let it sit for a week.
It's the fumes that do the work so on 2nd attempt I just put 1,2 tin stripper in. Let it sit for a week then empty. Put other half tin in and turn tank over and sit for another week. Worked better.
Problem is if any gets out it will destroy the paint job.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.09. 2020 00:17 »
Awful job to have to do! -The reason chemical tank 'liners' should be the VERY last method of sealing a leaking tank.
Some people even liner a tank that's not leaking!

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.09. 2020 08:42 »
Seen ads in the classic rags for firms which remove the old coating and recoat. Such a thankless task I reckon I'll check out the cost of that if/when the time comes.

Offline tony

• Moving Up
  • 1958 Super Rocket
« Reply #4 on: 28.09. 2020 19:43 »
Thank you all for your replies.  I'm going to have a go at doing this myself & hopefully it won't spoil the paint job.  Im buying an inspection camera so I can see what damage is in there.  So once I've completed it I'll share some pictures.  Also when I pulled the petrol taps out they were covered in gunk so I need to replace the filters as well. Can anyone tell me which side the reserve tap is on as none of them have level pipes on?  Thanks.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.09. 2020 20:22 »
 My set up is identical on/off  taps both feeding into a central banjo on the carb. Ride on the right tap only, from time to time opening the left tap to equalise levels in both sides of the tank. Then left tap closed, run again on the right tap alone.

Then when you're in the situation of needing the reserve in a hurry, right hand stays on the throttle while the left hand calmly opens the left tap, and you can relax......

So, with reserve type taps, my choice would be on the left. You need that right hand on the throttle.

A pair of cheap in line filters are also well worth fitting.

Swarfy.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 29.09. 2020 13:09 »
I also have the reserve tap on the left
Normal riding tap has the longer tube inside the tank.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.09. 2020 13:12 »
I also have the reserve tap on the left

I always figure that makes the most sense - if you are routinely using the side stand then that will always leave you a little fuel in reserve.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza