Author Topic: K2F points out of parellel  (Read 446 times)

Offline GregW

• Active
  • 1955 Road Rocket Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
K2F points out of parellel
« on: 27.09. 2020 22:24 »
Hi, I have a rebuilt K2F magneto that i just installed and found when setting the point gap that the point gap is greater at the outside than at the inner side. My feeler gauge is very loose until sliding it in all the way. By loose I mean the gap is about .020 at the outer side and .012 at the inner side. Having never replaced points before I was wondering if there is any kind of adjustment that can be made to make the point faces parallel.

Thanks!
Greg
Greg Whitney

Proud owner of 1955 Road Rocket

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: K2F points out of parellel
« Reply #1 on: 27.09. 2020 22:45 »
My thoughts are that it probably doesn't matter. The narrower gap is the one the electrons will jump across. How the points have got like that I do not know.

Additional: Remember that points gap affects ignition timing.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline GregW

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 27.09. 2020 23:43 »
Thanks GB! I won't worry about it then and just set them as is.

Greg
Greg Whitney

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 28.09. 2020 12:01 »
Pattern parts with poor geometry almost for certain. You can live with it, or you could adjust the position of the opening point on its carrier by the application of a bit of muscle to bend it a fraction.
Often (with brass backplate cb assemblies) this issue comes with the fixed point being pretty far unscrewed in the brass block (? in your case ?) - and 'adjustment' to obtain better mating surfaces also gets the set-up back closer to how Lucas intended - with plenty of room for the locknut on the rear of the fixed point mounting block.
With the steel assemblies (for which some pattern points are pretty horrible too) it comes down to whether there would be enough arc of movement on the flimsy bit of bent tin that carries the fixed point to get the gap set right after attacking anything.
Bill

Offline GregW

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 28.09. 2020 21:08 »
Thanks groily. Maybe I will just pop the back plate out this weekend and have a look. I was all set to let it be but your post got me thinking there are other options to set my mind at ease. If things look really wrong to me (back plate our before...) I'll take some pictures and post them.
Greg Whitney