Author Topic: Cam Follower Removal  (Read 1421 times)

Offline adunham1

• Moving Up
Cam Follower Removal
« on: 24.11. 2020 05:07 »
Hi everyone,

Wanting to remove the followers on my A10 SR to clean and inspect. I've been able to remove the two outer ones with the screws, but even after removing the center screw I cannot get the middle two followers out.

The parts book calls for a "ball" under the screw head, but mine does not currently have one and I'm unable to knock the center pin out. To be clear, the locating pin gets knocked towards the back of the cylinders, correct?

Any ideas? Perhaps the pin is a bit stuck and I'm not hitting it hard enough?

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cam Follower Removal
« Reply #1 on: 24.11. 2020 08:40 »
Hi Ed
Check for a second grubscrew underneath  th screw you removed,
Measure the depth of the screw hole and visual check against the outside view
Before you reach for the hammer, the pin has two flats and will only come out one way

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.11. 2020 09:04 »
Know your enemy! A quick internet search brings up images of this locating dowel.  You'll see the flats each side to locate the followers, plus a radial groove that the missing  ball sits in to hold it in place. As CJ says, check for a second non standard grubscrew. A little heat and a G Clamp/spacers are preferable to a smack with the big hammer and a broken casting. In theory it just slides out, but corrosion and any previous abuse make a great locking compound. If the followers look OK, best left alone, but locked in place with the proper ball and screw.

Swarfy

Offline adunham1

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 24.11. 2020 22:01 »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't hit too hard... just a few gentle taps to see if anything would move since the ball did not appear to be there. I DID, however, manage to get the followers out.

I took a photo and zoomed in a bit and could tell there was yet another screw below the one I removed; this one with an allen head. It came out easily and so did the followers.

Has anyone seen this instead of the ball and screw arrangement?

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #4 on: 24.11. 2020 22:54 »
i had a similar thing with the local crown green bowling clubs lawn mower, several members some with engineering experience??? brought a shaft with the gear on to the pub discussing how they were going to get the gear off after they had removed the BOLT that was holding it on to the shaft. in trying to remove it they had mushroomed the shaft. me being full of black&tans volunteered to take it home with me and get the gear off. the next day i put it in the vice and hit it once and that was enough to know something was holding it, so i got a torch and looked down the deep hole and got sight of something, then put a wire down the hole and measured the difference. i put an allen key down and took the grub screw out, ground off the damage and the gear dropped off. i took it back to the pub and they were surprised i got it off, i told them i just took the grub screw out expecting a free pint of black&tan , but didn't get one. ::hh::

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 04.02. 2021 02:49 »
I'm removing the cam followers so I can clean, blast and paint the cylinder barrel.  The central locating pin does not want to come out, of course.  I will try pressing it out with a clamp and spacers as Swarfcut suggests, but before I break something, can someone just confirm that force should be applied to the end of the pin between the cylinders, i.e. facing the front of the bike?
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #6 on: 04.02. 2021 05:59 »
have you taken the screw out of the barrel flange and recovered the ball bearing that sits on the pin in the groove? it should just push out either way if they have been removed. doh now I've read swarfys post I bet you have. someone might have stuck it with goo try warming it up

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 08.02. 2021 23:42 »
Update - I set up a clamp with two sockets for spacers, and with a lot of pressure the pin eventually popped out.  It looks like it was just a tight interference fit.  There didn't seem to be any loctite.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT