Author Topic: Rocker oil feed routing  (Read 989 times)

Offline Chris

• Active
Rocker oil feed routing
« on: 09.01. 2021 13:57 »
Hello, I'm new to motorcycles and doing a few jobs on my A10 plunger during lockdown. I got it last year and the air intake was not filtered. I just got the rubber piece to connect the carb to the filter box. Couldn't believe how difficult it is the access the filter box. My problem is that the rocker oil feed pipe is in the way of the rubber piece, photo attached. I can easily move the pipe, but it is copper and if bent too often will break so I would like to get it right first time. Does anyone know the correct routing of the pipe?
Chris

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rocker oil feed routing
« Reply #1 on: 09.01. 2021 14:27 »
Hi Chris -  The pipe should not be in the way of the Carb/filter. I think it should be roughly as in the diagram (  this is Swinging arm though), on my bikes it goes across the top of the rocker box to get to the feed bolts, so basically more or less straight up as it will go then forward toward the rocker box and across it.
new ones are available if it should break but being copper it should straighten out then bend to shape, it's also not difficult to make one up (can't be difficult I've done it)
Go here and yours is I think number 23   = £27 ish +  PP should you need one, But try to bend yours to shape first just watch you don't flatten it anywhere
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/product-category/bsa/sparesparts-for-bsa-a710-b3133-c101112-m202133/engine-gaskets-gearbox/cylinder-head-barrel/rocker-box/pre-unit-a-group-rocker/

(other suppliers are available)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 09.01. 2021 14:43 »

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.01. 2021 14:53 »
My bike is a plunger. The rocker feed pipe goes up next to the vertical frame tube and passes close to the rubber air filter connection.
Those connectors are fiddly. A small screwdriver with the end heated and bent to 90° might help you to pull the rubber around the carb mouth. That tool is also very useful for getting the rubber grommet that cushions and holds the speedo. (on bikes that have the cowpat headlamp cowling)

You might like to get a pair of bolts for the carburettor to replace the original studs. This mod allows you to slide the carb in to place while engaging the lip of the air filter connection.
This operation though is not straightforward as you need to get the heat insulator and fuel spill tray in place all at the same time while trying not to crumple the gaskets that have been smeared with sealant. Great fun!
Mind you it's a doddle when compared to getting the rocker box on!  *whistle*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 09.01. 2021 14:58 »
The plunger A7 and A10 need different air filter connectors
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Chris

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 10.01. 2021 19:58 »
Thanks for your help. I successfully modified the route of the pipe and put several other things right at the same time. However, I couldn't connect up the air box as someone has modified it such that the back is no longer parallel with the brackets. They have done a nice job, but I don't understand why. Now I am looking for an replacement airbox and battery support.
Chris

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.01. 2021 22:57 »
Are you able to post pictures of the air filter box?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK