Author Topic: Golden Flash 1951 from Paris  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
Golden Flash 1951 from Paris
« on: 17.01. 2021 12:37 »
Hi to All,
Following introduction proposal, here it is. I have been a biker from age 16 up to 25, up to the usual cycle of mariage, reproduction, education, divorce, resilience and acquisition of a good shed. I discovered 3 wheelers fun, first evocation JZR, Triking and finaly restored a Morgan J-A-P engine SS 1934. Opportunity bring me to cyclecars and a prewar addiction participating to french events and rallyes. I found this BSA by chance in Paris area. Of course I would have preferred a girder fork prewar rigid frame, but I respect this rarity of plunger frame and go for a restoration plan.
Used to prewar stuff, it will not be a show bike shinny and polished, neither a rats bike, something between... Patina is not something you can buy, heritage of the time that I just want to fix and keep it in its state. As alway, issue is to avoid stains of "clean new", and then it becomes not so easy to get something coherent. Sorry for this long story in average english.
Some pictures below of the thing when I discovered it, chassis and engine number defined a 1951 A10 GoldenFlash. At date, another tank, tool box specific, carb, wiring loom, and exhaust have been sourced, still missing a dual seat with brackets, speedo brackets, a good plan to respoke wheels and rims, regulator and some bits...

Not sure this will work with pictures.... Brownce, select pics, got the right jpeg file click on insert pics   but cannot find the link to put between ... Bad Pierre...

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Golden Flash 1951 from Paris
« Reply #1 on: 17.01. 2021 13:47 »
 *welcome*

Nothing wrong with your English.

Having a complete bike like that will help you enormously. Yes, a wheel rebuild. Yes, a full engine strip.

Does the bike still have it's air-filter case? If so you've saved yourself a lot of trouble and money.
Update: I can see that it does.  *good3*

A few terms to research: 'Sludge Trap' , 'oil pump' , 'oil type' , 'oil filter', 'plunger units' , 'brakes', 'tank lining', 'DVR2'.

In case you are worried about those half-width brake drums ; if set up properly they are adequate for the performance of that motorcycle. I have a '55 Plunger and the brakes are excellent.

Good luck.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 17.01. 2021 17:27 »
Thanks Greybeard for your welcome.

Yes the original air filter is in place, just lost an eye with the tool box which seems to be rare too
Engine is in parts and yes the sludge trap has been cleaned and locked with new screws. It was time to do it.... The cavity was more than half full.
The rest is pretty ok, slight regrind to break the shinny internal of the cylinders, and new rings on original pistons. Valves and seat is fine, no play in guides.  It looks that this bike did not really made many kms.
Yes comes the question mark of changing the oil pump, a budget again... Not sure yet except if the risk is high to break the whole thing.
I have no issues with the half drums, experienced already on a Rudge with 8 inches, I know it does the job, and I like the design.
I have seen some set of spokes and rim on ebay but I am not sure they know what they sell. The front got 20 spokes short and 20 long, when rear is equal for the 40.
Uneasy to buy in UK when you have today more chance to multiply VAT to both sides + admin charge + import tax etc. Waiting to have things settled before engagement
If you have a supplier to recommand, let me know, if this is fine with forum rules. Having a rolling chassis is the first objective, rest will follow before covid desapear... Cheers, Pierre

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 17.01. 2021 17:56 »
Great intro, wlecome aboard, soyez le bienvenu.
Seems there will be some work needed on the bike, hoping the forum will be of good help.
In Paris or close? I used to live in Marly le Roi.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 17.01. 2021 18:37 »
In Paris or close? I used to live in Marly le Roi.
A bit more to north west, I am in a village close to Pontoise, 95000  ;)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 17.01. 2021 19:04 »
G'day Oldtoys.
Thanks for the intro.
Your bike is in about the same condition as my 51 A7 when I got it 40 years ago.
You have come to the right place, lots of smart fellas only too willing to help.
Enjoy the journey.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.01. 2021 19:34 »
Thanks Greybeard for your welcome.

Yes the original air filter is in place, just lost an eye with the tool box which seems to be rare too
Engine is in parts and yes the sludge trap has been cleaned and locked with new screws. It was time to do it.... The cavity was more than half full.
The rest is pretty ok, slight regrind to break the shinny internal of the cylinders, and new rings on original pistons. Valves and seat is fine, no play in guides.  It looks that this bike did not really made many kms.
Yes comes the question mark of changing the oil pump, a budget again... Not sure yet except if the risk is high to break the whole thing.
I have no issues with the half drums, experienced already on a Rudge with 8 inches, I know it does the job, and I like the design.
I have seen some set of spokes and rim on ebay but I am not sure they know what they sell. The front got 20 spokes short and 20 long, when rear is equal for the 40.
Uneasy to buy in UK when you have today more chance to multiply VAT to both sides + admin charge + import tax etc. Waiting to have things settled before engagement
If you have a supplier to recommand, let me know, if this is fine with forum rules. Having a rolling chassis is the first objective, rest will follow before covid desapear... Cheers, Pierre

Cheapest way I know of fitting new rims is to buy a rim and pre-made spokes of the right length and build the wheel yourself. Draganfly sell rims and spokes for example. I found stainless rims only cost a little more, but I fitted plated steel spokes. Wheels are costly parts of a restore, if you include tyres, bearings, brake shoes as well. Rims are bulky so shipping can be pricy.

I guess there should be no VAT like with NZ....and there are no customs charges of tax below about 500 quid either, but for France, who knows!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.01. 2021 20:14 »
Hi Pierre.

The oil pump body was made of a soft metal which after all this time can change shape and lock the pump solid. It can usually be dismantled with some heat from a hot air gun, but keep the gears in their same places. Lots about oilpumps on the Forum.

Welcome, it will be good to see how you get on to make it work again.

Swarfy.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 21.01. 2021 17:26 »
Hi and *welcome*
A good supplier within EU is British Only in Austria.
https://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/en/parts/wheel-rims-new
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 18.03. 2021 10:28 »
After many hours on the site and in the shed, some good advancement on the cycle part of the bike
Many valuable informations in the site, thank you, and more to do now
Thank you for the welcome and advise too!

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 18.03. 2021 11:27 »
After many hours on the site and in the shed, some good advancement on the cycle part of the bike
Many valuable informations in the site, thank you, and more to do now
Thank you for the welcome and advise too!
Coo! Lovely!  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 28.05. 2021 13:29 »
Hello guys
An important millestone this AM, the start of the completed bike, one kick to fire the thing after 50 years.
The forum is so rich that you don't need to raise a question, the answer is somewhere inside.
So many thanks for helping fixing stuff and get to the right way to proceed, and make it happen.
Not sure if the youtube video will work in this post, but here is the result with my beloved Golden Flash 1951
Cheers

https://youtu.be/593LAal3oyk

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #12 on: 28.05. 2021 15:20 »
Ahh, don't we love such posts! Congratulations  *smile*

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.05. 2021 19:04 »
... Not sure if the youtube video will work in this post, but here is the result with my beloved Golden...
That bike looks great!.

My only nitpick is the angle of the front brake arm. When pulled on, the cable and arm should make 90°. Achieving that will help you to stop. When set up properly that front brake is excellent.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 28.05. 2021 19:18 »

That bike looks great!.

My only nitpick is the angle of the front brake arm. When pulled on, the cable and arm should make 90°. Achieving that will help you to stop. When set up properly that front brake is excellent.

Thanks, I tried both position and battle with cable length and adjustement screw to finish with this "wrong" position.
Your point is perfectly valid.
When you think the job is done, it is just 83,7% finished. I will add this to my to do list. I am used to this rule.