Author Topic: Stearing head bearing.  (Read 334 times)

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
Stearing head bearing.
« on: 23.01. 2021 13:36 »
Switching to the taper roller conversion whilst I’m rebuilding the forks. Old cups out cleaned headstock with a light emery inside. I’ve even made a tool for getting the new outer races in. Question is I can’t seem to get them in fully flush. Do they need to go all the way into the headstock or are the ok slightly proud. Currently I can’t get the top to sit nicely either (3rd attempt) . It may just want a thwack with a bit of nylon and a rubber mallet. What’s other people’s experiences?
Thanks

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Stearing head bearing.
« Reply #1 on: 23.01. 2021 16:08 »
Either it's seated at the bottom or it isn't - and should be. A piece of plywood and a heavish hammer should confirm the seating. If it is already fully seated, then of course that's its final resting place.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.01. 2021 17:01 »
   Looks to be fully seated to the front, cocked up at the back. So try levelling first by raising the front, and a check there is nothing on the seat holding it off. If all OK, like RD suggests a good smack should do it.  Support the frame head so all the force presses on the race outer, not just moving the frame. If it were mine I'd take out the race, leave it in the freezer overnight, clean the seating and try again tomorrow, using your custom puller with perhaps a wipe of WD in the seating for luck. Keeping it square is the secret.

Swarfy

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #3 on: 23.01. 2021 17:14 »
Pleased to report its home now. I sat the ally boss in without the threaded bar and gave it a good hit home on after levelling it up. Job done👍🏻
Thank you both just didn’t want to stuff it up