Author Topic: Fork refurbishment  (Read 317 times)

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
Fork refurbishment
« on: 10.02. 2021 20:02 »
Currently rebuilding my front forks. Whilst I’ve got them in bits I sent the stanchions off to HCP in Mansfield in Nottingham not far from me.  They have facilities to check forks for straightness and true if not. The next process as far as I can gather is this. After truing the forks they grind them back to take out any wear, next they hard chrome them and then grind again to the desired size.
It’s not cheap ,  I paid £100 cash ( cough cough ) to have mine done and they look amazing.  Usually they only chrome the bottom but I asked and he said he’d do the lot . I know you can buy new ones for not much more money but I think refurbished originals will be better.  Plus I’ve saved by making myself some new bronze bushes.  I’m not advertising for them but I’ve put a link in below if anyone is interested at having a look at their website. This is a recommendation. ( remove if not allowed) 

Photos of bottom bushes made today and forks redone . Top bushes will be done tomorrow. Enjoy

https://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk/

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Fork refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: 10.02. 2021 20:21 »
alex when I rebuilt mine I sent the forks with a lot of coal board stuff from work to zachrome in chesterfield,  they made a great job apart from chroming the whole legs even though I told them to only do the top bits to where I had wound some tape. this resulted in my dad having to ease out the lead bronze bushes he had made, not a job he was happy with but made a good job with them. the standard of chrome on them is proper heavy duty.

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #2 on: 10.02. 2021 20:34 »
Berger, I bet your dad was happy. It’s not so bad to adjust bits when you have the proper kit.  I hate fumbling around trying to make do at home,  when I know at work I’d have it done on a jiffy and end up with the result that I wanted.
 I’m pleased to see they have left the taper at the top where it pulls into the yoke.

P.S Berger as you can see on the bushes it’s an off cut that was kicking around and done in a lunch break of course

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 10.02. 2021 21:09 »
alex I have many off cuts like those it's a good job my brother knows how to make things with them, I spent too much time in the pub *beer*

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 11.02. 2021 04:03 »
Did the same nearly 50 years, complete refurbishment at the engineering company where I worked, everything in house, and yes even the chrome plating.
Reason for the refurbishment was a crash and I was suspecting fork stanction damage.
At large companies it was down to who you knew to get jobs done and we referred to them as foreigners.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.