Author Topic: Fitting Britax rear crash bars  (Read 439 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Fitting Britax rear crash bars
« on: 22.02. 2021 12:54 »
Has anyone here fitted Britax rear crash bars to their A10? What I need is details of how the top fixing between the frame and the rear shocker mount and the mudguard bracket is done. Clearly the "cotton reel" spacer has to be removed, but the width of the crash bar is narrower than the cotton reel spacer. Would it be good or bad practice to do this with washers, or should a new spacer be fitted? I would also like to know what side any spacer should be fitted e.g. between the stay and the crash bar fixing bracket or between the bracket and the frame. washers maybe either side of the crash bar fixing bracket? just looking it is not really obvious to me.   

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Fitting Britax rear crash bars
« Reply #1 on: 22.02. 2021 16:39 »
Has anyone here fitted Britax rear crash bars to their A10? What I need is details of how the top fixing between the frame and the rear shocker mount and the mudguard bracket is done. Clearly the "cotton reel" spacer has to be removed, but the width of the crash bar is narrower than the cotton reel spacer. Would it be good or bad practice to do this with washers, or should a new spacer be fitted? I would also like to know what side any spacer should be fitted e.g. between the stay and the crash bar fixing bracket or between the bracket and the frame. washers maybe either side of the crash bar fixing bracket? just looking it is not really obvious to me.   

Is this any good ?

Keep all the standard spacers, just use a longer bolt for the shock mounting.
The bar is supposed to lean out at the top to match the Britax front crash bars.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 23.02. 2021 12:05 »
Roy, thanks for your response. As you can see my crash bar appears to be different to yours (although it is Britax) maybe yours is BSA specific while mine is perhaps more of a "universal" fitment. BTX4 is how mine is meant to fit I think. This is LJ's A10. Remember him he says to say hello to all the lads on the forum. The small small bracket is from what I can work out a frame foot rest lug adapter because the Britax foot rest spindle is to short to go through the frame lug. The bracket on the crash bar is riveted into place and had to be removed so that I can get the bar rechromed. Not an easy task!

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23.02. 2021 20:48 »
Mine are different to Roys in as much as the bottom fits between the frame and footrest (as opposed to on the outside of footrest).  I remember when fitting mine I had to jiggle the top bracket one way and then the other to get it in the best position to clear the tool box & oil tank mounting bolt's hex. As Roy said keep the spacer and washers but you need to get a longer bolt.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.02. 2021 06:44 »
Mine are different to Roys in as much as the bottom fits between the frame and footrest (as opposed to on the outside of footrest).  I remember when fitting mine I had to jiggle the top bracket one way and then the other to get it in the best position to clear the tool box & oil tank mounting bolt's hex. As Roy said keep the spacer and washers but you need to get a longer bolt.

Then there's this type on a bike for sale in Staffordshire.
https://www.efvs.co.uk/used/bikes/bsa-a10-650-10164/

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 24.02. 2021 15:10 »
Thank you all for your contributions. It seems that there is more than one version of Britax rear crash bars. Nothing is ever simple is it?