Author Topic: Imported speedo/tacho drive thread size.  (Read 680 times)

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
Imported speedo/tacho drive thread size.
« on: 28.04. 2021 21:09 »
As the bike I am building is far from factory spec, I sold the original Smiths clocks to fund some of the rebuild costs. I sent for a pair from a U.K. supplier of Indian made ones.  I have come to fit them to the U.K. supplied drive cables and not only is the square hole shaped like an egg, the mounting screws are at 3o'clock and 9 o'clock.  The drive outlet is dead centre so fouls the originals brackets and to top it all the cable mounting threads are too big.

I don't suppose anyone with more sense than me knows the standard Smiths thread on a clock ?

Don't be too hard on me, I just can't afford Smithc clocks.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Imported speedo/tacho drive thread size.
« Reply #1 on: 28.04. 2021 21:23 »
Those Indian things are about twenty quid on Ebay, so just buy a couple with the correct British-sized cable unions, although I believe Hitchcocks can supply replacement cables with the larger fittings on the end.
I have to say though that flogging off the original clocks to fund resto work is a little extreme... *conf*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 28.04. 2021 21:24 »
G'day Barry.
When I put an Indian speedo on my Cafe I used a Royal Oilfield cable and modified the gearbox end. As for mounting, necessity is the mother of invention, I used stainless coffee mugs with the handle removed  *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 28.04. 2021 22:03 »
Cpc Eng in Redruth make stainless bracket that fit the BSA top yoke and takes the indian clocks.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.04. 2021 10:54 »
Thanks for your input lads, Rex I did have to have a word with myself before I sold them but as they were not from the Flash but were DBD34 gold star ones the £500 paid for a crank regind, a rebore and pistons plus a pair of good crankcases. 

In all the bits that came in the boxes that were not for the bike made almost £1500 so helped a lot. I still have a  QD rear wheel with a drum/sprocket, the rim/spokes are rusty but the hub and sproket are good.

The thread on a Smiths clock apparently  is .460" x 26tpi, I will look for a die and try to modify these crap clocks.  If not I will call Hitchcocks.

What are the best handgrips, None came with the rolling chassis I bought. 1954 Flash ( RGS look-a-like)

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.04. 2021 13:41 »
The Smiths chronometric head cable thread is metric - M12 x 1mm pitch. Definately not Imperial.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 29.04. 2021 13:50 »
Re the cables why not contact Vernhill , they will make you up a special cable to suit even if you have to send 'em the clocks , Normally these indian ones are enfield and the one they made me as worked well for over 3 yrs and only cost about £15.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 30.04. 2021 12:13 »
It seems I was expecting an Imperial thread.  You are right it is M12 x 1.0mm pitch and the problem was that the square would not enter the clock enough to allow the thread to connect.  I spent an hour with  a square needle file and managed to get the cables in.

Thanks again for your help.