Author Topic: battery  (Read 1006 times)

Offline ciderman

• Moving Up
battery
« on: 03.06. 2021 18:04 »
Hi all , what would be the likely result of overcharging on my 63 Flash fitted with a sealed battery ? I know what would happen with a vented battery .....! *eek* ( standard electrical set up with mechanical regulator ) thanks .

61 Super rocket
63 flash
77commando 850
VFR 750
XBR500
TDM 850 X2

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: battery
« Reply #1 on: 03.06. 2021 19:59 »
The battery would get warm.

Offline ciderman

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 04.06. 2021 08:13 »
a bit more than that im afraid ...acid dribbling from the seams ...brand new battery too .

61 Super rocket
63 flash
77commando 850
VFR 750
XBR500
TDM 850 X2

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.06. 2021 11:17 »
I have just bought a Sakurass5419 intelligent charger from Amazon for 7.63 including next day delivery, I must have got in on the right day because it is now £23.77.
however, even at that price, I think it's ok

It has several modes that it cycles through, most 12 volt but the last one is 6 volt, the good and relevant point is when your battery gets up to full charge the charger stops charging.

also displays the wrong polarity, and includes in its process a desulphurating phase, I would not know how to check this.
 for a look go here https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sakura+ss5419+car+battery+charger%2C+4a&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 04.06. 2021 14:30 »
The problem I have found with intelligent chargers is that sometimes they are too clever. If a battery is deep discharged and completely "flat", charging may not start. The charger cannot "read" the battery, so refuses to charge. Stick an old school charger on for a day or so then reconnect the intelligent unit and normally it will charge. Think it proves that sometimes ignorance is bliss.🙄
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.06. 2021 17:26 »
 Suppose first thing to check is the output voltage and cut out function of the regulator. Even if working as it should it could be that the battery is simply unsuitable for such a crude system and the charging rate has exceeded the rate the battery is designed to accept.

Plenty of background on battery types, chargers, pitfalls etc on the Forum.

Anyone else gone down the sealed lead acid or AGM route with the traditional mechanical regulator?

Swarfy.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 04.06. 2021 19:00 »
Yes Swarfcut that will be me then. Not after the weekend though as I am fitting a new Rec/Reg. One zenner went down and cooked the battery hopefully
the new system should cure that.

ELLIS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.06. 2021 19:22 »
The problem I have found with intelligent chargers is that sometimes they are too clever. If a battery is deep discharged and completely "flat", charging may not start. The charger cannot "read" the battery, so refuses to charge. Stick an old school charger on for a day or so then reconnect the intelligent unit and normally it will charge. Think it proves that sometimes ignorance is bliss.🙄
I just had to do this for my sons car battery. My 'intelligent' charger would not touch his very discharged battery. I asked on local social media and got loaned a traditional charger for a couple of days;  this got enough charge into the battery for smarty-pants to take over.

See, social media can be useful!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.06. 2021 19:25 »
Yes Swarfcut that will be me then. Not after the weekend though as I am fitting a new Rec/Reg. One zenner went down and cooked the battery hopefully
the new system should cure that.

ELLIS
One zenner went down and cooked the battery hopefully. The new system should cure that.
Or
One zenner went down and cooked the battery. Hopefully the new system should cure that.

😳
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline ciderman

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 04.06. 2021 20:26 »
Thanks swarfcut , that is what i plan to do next ....when i get a new battery ! 

61 Super rocket
63 flash
77commando 850
VFR 750
XBR500
TDM 850 X2

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 04.06. 2021 21:51 »
This subject has crossed my mind recently, as I'm fitting a (sealed) gel battery because with the CCA I need for a starter the only orientation available is to stand the battery on its end. But I'm also fitting a Kubota mini alternator, which reputably put out 14A (12v).
Presumably the regulator will monitor battery voltage and quickly cut back once the energy used has been replaced. Overcharging should therefore not happen, and I'm not overly concerned about a higher than usual charge rate initially as I take the view that if a battery can withstand 200A being drawn, it should stand 200A going back in - momentarily.
Anyone any views on the Kubota / gel combination?

Addendum - in the marine world alternator regulators are available which substantially increase charge rate (usually four stage) but they often have battery temperature sensors, as that's a limiting factor when fast charging. Secondly, these regulators have different settings depending on the type of battery. Normal lead-acid batteries are top of the list as the electrolyte can be topped up, whilst sealed batteries have the lowest setting (although still well above a normal alternator output). As an example my (non-sealed) boat batteries are 140Ah with a CCA of 900A.  When low a standard alternator would start charging these at c. 30A, quickly dropping back to c. 20A. but the Sterling regulator increases the alternator's output to around 60A at 15v.

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 04.06. 2021 21:53 »
If a battery is deep discharged and completely "flat", charging may not start.

yes, I have found that on occasion, I have an old car charger that has a 6-volt option, but it has too high an output for my liking but I have used it just to get some little charge in the battery.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 05.06. 2021 03:18 »
Sorry Greybeard.
I should pay more attention to my punctuation. *eek*

ELLIS

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 05.06. 2021 07:22 »
When I encounter a dead flat battery that the charger won't look at, I connect it up to another good battery and the charger will then put some charge into the dead battery. After an hour I disconnect the good battery and then leave the battery charger on for a day or so.
59 Super Rocket 

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 05.06. 2021 09:02 »
When I encounter a dead flat battery that the charger won't look at, I connect it up to another good battery and the charger will then put some charge into the dead battery. After an hour I disconnect the good battery and then leave the battery charger on for a day or so.
I did try that, with no luck.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK