Author Topic: Kick Start Travel Stop Re-manufactured  (Read 413 times)

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
Kick Start Travel Stop Re-manufactured
« on: 24.06. 2021 13:13 »
Hi Chaps, In a previous thread investigation into a primary drive oil leak led to numerous issues being uncovered along the way, something clearly not unusual on these venerable machines.  We found mixed parts in the clutch, worn out primary chain and chain wheel, misaligned primary drive components, sliding plate fitted backwards, end float on the mainshaft which led me around the other side and behind the gear-box outer and inner covers to replace the mainshaft bearing (source of the end float), whereupon we uncovered further horrors including, a badly worn and mismatched K/S ratchet pinion and a kick start quadrant stop that was slowly working its way backwards out of the casing and a worn mainshaft bearing race. I've now got all the replacement parts on hand and can start to put things back together. I need to follow this  up by doing a dry assembly on the primary and setting up alignment.

While I was waiting for parts to arrive here in sunny Adelaide I decided that I could fix the kick start travel stop button issue and followed some very helpful advice given in the previous thread.  The wear in the casing was pretty bad and had to be bored out to 1/2" to clean it up. I then spot faced to 3/4" dia to accept a new button detail which I turned up to give a firm push fit into the housing and a much bigger bearing area in the soft alloy. I also spot faced the rear to take a nice thick steel washer under the nut. I'm pretty happy with the result which will hopefully give no further trouble.  The button was made from a piece of 1040 hardened and tempered to increase its toughness as the old one was badly chewed up by the quadrant which seems to be very hard judging by what it did to the old one and the previously fitted incorrect ratchet pinion without showing any wear at all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Kick Start Travel Stop Re-manufactured
« Reply #1 on: 24.06. 2021 20:40 »
Good work!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.06. 2021 00:49 »
Hi
I am waiting for the royalty payment  *contract*  LOL

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 25.06. 2021 05:01 »
Hi
I am waiting for the royalty payment  *contract*  LOL

John

No problem John, next time I'm in your neck of the woods there's a pint of the black stuff in it for you!
 *beer*
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum