Author Topic: they know you know  (Read 342 times)

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
they know you know
« on: 25.06. 2021 13:32 »
On the last ride before a planned service for the A7, for the first time ever she let out two very loud back fires at about the 10 and 35 mile mark. I could not get it to repeat on the trip home. Whilst doing the service I checked the plugs and they are a bit pale. They have always been a bit rich before and I have not changed anything.
The service was before VMCC section trip to the Welsh boarders, that starts next Friday. A 260 mile ride there via Milton Keynes, South of Banbury and Worcester, then a weeks riding the local area and the return trip. I am sure she knows that she is in for a hard week  *smile*

1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
Re: they know you know
« Reply #1 on: 25.06. 2021 15:59 »
A bit less worrying than the loud backfire I heard on a single engined Cessna I was flying to the Isle of Man. It was just the one whilst climbing out but I was on the edge of my seat and listening intently for the sea crossing...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.06. 2021 16:24 »
On the last ride before a planned service for the A7, for the first time ever she let out two very loud back fires at about the 10 and 35 mile mark. I could not get it to repeat on the trip home. Whilst doing the service I checked the plugs and they are a bit pale. They have always been a bit rich before and I have not changed anything.
The service was before VMCC section trip to the Welsh boarders, that starts next Friday. A 260 mile ride there via Milton Keynes, South of Banbury and Worcester, then a weeks riding the local area and the return trip. I am sure she knows that she is in for a hard week  *smile*
Is the petrol fresh? Could water have gotten into the tank? Was the bike pinking? Have you checked the points gap followed by the timing? Backfires can be caused by air being sucked into the exhaust pipes; are the pipes solidly held in the head?
Greybeard (Neil)
1955 Golden Flash, sprung frame
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #3 on: 26.06. 2021 14:20 »
Hi GB,
Not really a technical query as I posted it in the chat board but thanks for the thoughts.
I am useless as I don’t want to touch her, she runs so sweet.
Fresh Petrol as she has been used for every Tuesday ride since April
She does not pink
I have just gone out and taken the cover off the magneto and checked the gap, a bit over 12 thou but defiantly under 15.
The exhausts were glued in 8 years ago by Roger at cake street I have tried to get them out three times but failed as I don’t want to damage them. Last attempt was 4 years ago and they would not move. She has done over 8000 miles since then.
She has had the current plugs in for 3 years and so I swapped them out for some new ones of a different make, those after a brief 15 mile run are a nice brown colour. She did not backfire on this test run.
At least I don’t have the problem one of our members is having with his Triumph he is on his third reassembly after various pattern part he purchased (rings, push rods, valve guides) broke or seized on start-up or during very brief test rides.
1961 A7 since 1976
1950 T100

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.06. 2021 15:24 »
I can never remember which way it goes but points gap affects ignition timing. So, let's say that if the gap is too wide the spark is advanced and if the gap is too narrow the spark is retarded. As I said, I can't remember which way round it is but it's important to get the points gap correct before setting or checking the timing.
Greybeard (Neil)

Warwickshire UK

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 27.06. 2021 09:08 »
GB is correct, opening the gap advances the timing, closing it retards it. Someone worked out by how many degrees per thou of gap and posted it on here somewhere, sorry cant remember who or where it's posted.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 28.06. 2021 03:27 »
My bike never misses a beat, I would say,  well it did, last week, a couple of misfires, then stalled at the next junction, thankfully restarted, after all those thoughts of hell really do not fancy roadside repairs or recovery.
After returning home with no further issues but curious to find out the cause, decided to check, points, plugs, which to be fair both have not been checked for some time, then my fairly new, well fitted 2 years ago inline fuel filter.
It's an aluminium version in two parts with sintered element, and upon inspection a loose chipping of aluminium, obviously from the filter body machine process neatly lodged against the outlet, a lesson to be learned, always check before fitting any additional components.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online BagONails

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 28.06. 2021 05:10 »
Very true and kind of ironic that the cause of failure was the very thing itself designed to prevent fuel blockages/contamination from happening...at least the offending particle stayed in the filter!  *smile*
Ian

Nil Desperandum

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #8 on: 30.06. 2021 10:31 »
My VMCC sections 2020 trip to Wales is finally about to happen leaving this Friday. I am riding there this time just to see if I can, its 260 miles so some would think a short trip but for me and my bum that seams like a long long way. Then a week of riding in the Welsh boarders, before the return trip. I think I will be the only BSA there as I am taking the A7 (see below), others are mostly over 25 years old so VMCC qualifying. This is where we are going https://radnorrevivals.com if anyone is in the area we will be riding every day (unless it pours down).
It appears the A10 will also be out on its travels to as my son is going to Bicester for the weekend and is going to ride there and back, so keep an eye out for PFX546 the book bike
1961 A7 since 1976
1950 T100

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 30.06. 2021 10:46 »
I wish you, your bottom and the bike good luck Angus. 🤞

On my 40 mile ride yesterday, if I had not been riding in a group there were times when I would have stopped to give my botty a rest. An occasional stand up on the pegs was all I could manage.

Another factor for me these days is needing to stop for a pee every hour or so.
Greybeard (Neil)

Warwickshire UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 30.06. 2021 13:11 »
Another factor for me these days is needing to stop for a pee every hour or so.

Oh yes - it's not so much the frequency more the urgency, but at last hopefully, a HOLEP procedure in early august will prove of benefit
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #11 on: 23.07. 2021 15:41 »
Sorry took a while to write up the report either start with the FB here https://www.facebook.com/IpswichVMCC/posts/1243188209456745 (you dont need an account) or read the full report here http://www.ipswich-vmcc.co.uk/News
Spelling and grammar errors are to be ignored  *fight*
1961 A7 since 1976
1950 T100