Author Topic: BSA Forks and Water Ingress  (Read 301 times)

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
BSA Forks and Water Ingress
« on: 06.07. 2021 19:30 »

This may or may not reduce water ingress through the shroud gaps, but, I am going to give it a go on my BSA WD B40 during the fork rebuild.  The forks share much commonality within the BSA A7, A10, etc….models.

Just two simple items per fork leg; a steel washer and a felt washer.

The inside diameter of my WD B40 shroud is about 2 & 1/8 inches, the stanchion diameter just under the bottom yolk is 1 & 3/8 inches.

In my bits and pieces box, I found x2 1 inch inside diameter steel washers.  I will turn the inside diameter to fit over the stanchion.  The outer diameter 3/16 to a ¼ inch less than the shroud inside diameter, or maybe less depending on the thickness of felt I can obtain.

I will make a felt washer somewhat larger diameter than the steel washer and a tight fit around the stanchion, so that the felt will hang over the steel washer circumference mushroom style for want of a better word.  The steel washer and felt seal, which should be thoroughly greased well, will be held in position with the fork spring against the lower yolk once totally assembled.  Hopefully, when stuffed up inside the shroud, it will be sufficient to seal up the pinch bolt slot in the bottom yolk, inside the tubing wall of the shroud (below the lower yolk) and compressed enough around the stanchion.  Possibly an O-ring around the stanchion as well?

Will it reduce ingress of water I wonder?  Oh, and that little gap at the top of the shroud to the top yolk. I managed to get some 30 x 5 mm o-rings that should be a tight fit around; I think 33 mm, top of the shroud.  Maybe someone could suggest a better material than felt?  Maybe rubber?

All the best to all….

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA Forks and Water Ingress
« Reply #1 on: 06.07. 2021 20:59 »
Or just drill a drain hole in the fork seal holder to let the water (and oil) out.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 06.07. 2021 21:56 »
G'day BSARGS650.
You will find most of the water and grime enters between the shroud and seal holder.
RD's suggestion is the only way out.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 07.07. 2021 09:05 »
Mmmm...Thank god there are real experts on this wonderful forum in the cosmos, saved me pratting about with those washers in the lathe - I done RD's solution on my Honda Accord water leak that accumulated in the boot tyre well - never did find the source with copious amount of talc spread everywhere, but, did smell nice for a while after.  Being as the WD B40 shrouds are the short type and gaiters between the seal holder and shroud there is little chance of water/debris getting in from that area.

Have fun and keep safe.....