Author Topic: frame differences  (Read 676 times)

Offline puzzled

• Active
  • hello all i have just acquired a BSA A10
frame differences
« on: 12.11. 2021 01:01 »
Hello everybody, as this is my very first post I will introduce myself. I am a 70 year old retired tradesman living in south east Queensland Australia. I have been an active motorcyclist most of my life, so when I retired I  bought a BSA A10 as a project.  Now this is where the story gets interesting.  The frame is a 1954/55 one with swinging arm but the wheels that came with it are 56/57 type with Ariel hubs and through brakes. I cannot use these brakes without the hollow spindle, which, by the looks of it, does not fit through the holes in my frame. Try as I might I cannot find any reference to this in your forums.  Is there any way that I can use these hubs and wheels in my frame or are they totally incompatible.  Any help would be appreciated.
SE QLD 56GF

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
Re: frame differences
« Reply #1 on: 12.11. 2021 01:54 »
Gidday, not sure if this is of any help, but have a look at the Draganfly Parts List, specifically section 21 - wheels. Gives you all the different types of wheel, the years used and what bits go with them ie: hubs, brake parts, spindles etc.
Other than that, someone will no doubt be able to help
Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 12.11. 2021 01:59 »
Failing all of that, have a chat to Mike at Mikes classic spares in Bannockburn on the Goldie. What that guy doesn't know, probably ain't worth knowing when it comes to BSA's. He's got a pretty good website that gives you his contact details, and a fairly decent range of new and used parts. Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 12.11. 2021 05:19 »
Do you want a bike to ride ?
To Show ?
Does the critism of fools worry you ?

The Ariel wheels were a big backward step.
For a rider get some crinckle hubs with a QD rim , stronger, lighter, better brake & of course on the brake pedal side
Any A or B series wheel can be made to fit but of course most of the singles are 18" and the twins are 19"
A 65 SLS wheels are relatively cheap and more than adequate for riding in Qld .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.11. 2021 08:48 »
Hello everybody, as this is my very first post I will introduce myself. I am a 70 year old retired tradesman living in south east Queensland Australia. I have been an active motorcyclist most of my life, so when I retired I  bought a BSA A10 as a project.  Now this is where the story gets interesting.  The frame is a 1954/55 one with swinging arm but the wheels that came with it are 56/57 type with Ariel hubs and through brakes. I cannot use these brakes without the hollow spindle, which, by the looks of it, does not fit through the holes in my frame. Try as I might I cannot find any reference to this in your forums.  Is there any way that I can use these hubs and wheels in my frame or are they totally incompatible.  Any help would be appreciated.

From memory the swing arm needs a bigger hole for the ariel axle, probably a fork leg as well. My A10 has ariel hubs if you need pics etc. They look good but yes the 7” front is not as effective as the 8” brakes.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 12.11. 2021 15:27 »
I had that problem about 25 years ago with an A!0 it can be done but it involves some work. If Iremember correctly you will need the original spindles that fit your frame. On the front I fitted new bearings that had the original outside diameter but the internal size fitted the smaller front spindle, I also had to make up a distance piece to keep the wheel central in the forks. From memory I seem to remember that I had to do something with slde on the fork that holds the brake plate in position, The rear I had toget a sleeve made to fit inside the hub to make up the difference between the daimeters of the spindle and the bearings. It can be done but you will need access to a lathe to make sone parts as I say I did it some 25 years ago.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.11. 2021 17:33 »
 I'm thinking this bike came in pieces, looked the right bits, but it is not what you hoped for.

For those in a similar situation....

Early frame uses a solid swing arm spindle and so called small bore bushes 42- 4115. Solid spindle for these is 42 4112. The frame holes match the spindle diameter. Rear brake is rod, left hand side brake drum/sprocket.  On an unmolested frame there should be provision to mount the brake pedal pivot.

Later design...'56 onwards uses the crossover brake shaft, the bushes used 42 4362 have a bigger bore, 13/16" which is the size of the hollow spindle  (42 4340) O.D. and the matching holes in the frame.

So for the bike in question, how you proceed really depends on what you have. If the S/A is fitted, has a good set of bushes and a solid spindle, stick with this original QD design. I'd ditch the Ariel rear wheel, the  earlier single sided brake is better, and the QD hub is a far better prospect. Changing the  S/A bushes is a black art, avoid it if you can. Solid spindle narrow bore bushes have a greater amount of rubber, less prone to failure. Very thin rubber insert on the later bushes is subject to more torsional strain. Could be the S/A and matching wheel are the later type, look the part, but are not the right components for the frame. Of course, if the frame cheeks are worn, then providing the frame holes can be enlarged with the same precision as original, the later S/A hollow shaft and bushes could be substituted, as always assuming the Ariel wheel matches the fixing lugs.

Sourcing the bits is the biggest stumbling block, but the information you need is in the Forum Literature section. Also there are plenty of topics relating to problems folks have had with this theoretically simple suspension design.

All models use the same diameter fork stanchions, fork ends can be chosen to suit wheel type and mudguard mounting. As recommended Draganfly's online catalogue tells it all.

Welcome along, send us some pictures, we love 'em!!

Swarfy.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 12.11. 2021 19:04 »
G'day puzzled  *welcome*
The good thing about being a tradie is you can make things fit.
I personally prefer the look of the Ariel hubs and retained them on my Cafe. Soft linings and an extended front lever helps. Brakes only slow you down  ;).
Your in a good part of the world with a few forum members and Mikes Classic Bikes close by.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 13.11. 2021 05:35 »
ut not for long.
Mikes No 1 has decided to go his own way & Mike has decided that as his riding days are winding down he wants to spend more time on the road & less in the store room .
So Mikes Bikes is up for sale .
How deep are your pockets ?
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline puzzled

• Active
  • hello all i have just acquired a BSA A10
« Reply #9 on: 14.11. 2021 08:21 »
Hello Everyone. Thanks all for your input.   I have read them and thought about them.  Now to answer a couple of questions. No the bike will absolutely not be a show bike (bikes should be ridden, no just looked at).  I would like to post some photos but my computer abilities stops me.
After much deliberation and muttering in my shed, I have come to the conclusion that I will try to find the correct hubs for the 54/55 frame. If I cannot find these parts, I will have to think about drilling out the swing arm holes in the frame to suit but I hope it doesn't come to this as it will be potentially butchering the frame.  I will however ask Mike's Bikes for some guidance and possible parts.
Again, many thanks.  There will be a brief pause as I gain more knowledge and/or parts.  Doubtless, I will be asking more questions. *conf*
SE QLD 56GF