Author Topic: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960  (Read 2927 times)

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
Re: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960
« Reply #15 on: 04.09. 2022 10:34 »
Not a lot to show this week, Leon had laser work done on Friday so was unavailable, on Saturday we opened the gearbox and fitted the "part left over" bit, am so happy we found a home for it, thank you. Leon progressed with the priming and I sonic cleaned the carb and rebuilt it plus the mag got a clean and tidy up, there's good spark so shall see how it performs.

Kind regards Colin

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: 04.09. 2022 13:35 »
P.S. Anyone guess how long it took an A10 to come off the production line back in the day?
Let’s have a quizz. Factory tour for the winner…  *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 05.09. 2022 14:39 »
bet they came off the line faster on a friday afternoon nearing clocking off time !! mind you bantam wheels on an a10 should have looked strange LOL
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 12.09. 2022 12:00 »
It may look like another "not much to show" weekend but we did well but I'm not sure if the laser treatment is having the right affect on Leon............................seems to want lie down a lot!!!!
Most parts for the frame build have now had two coats of primer and are ready for black paint next weekend, weather permitting, both hubs have had black and will be ready for lace up in a few days, rear suspension legs are also done.
My big end shells are still in stores "waiting to be unpacked" I will cancel today and order elsewhere, it's holding up the engine build.

Kind regards

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 13.09. 2022 09:52 »
You are doing a superb job there I am really envious I would love to be doing what you are doing now but with only a single garage 2 bikes workbench etc I just do not have the room, keep at it and keep the photos and info coming.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 13.09. 2022 13:11 »
Seeing that clogged sludge trap makes me very happy 👍

Yep, that may be one of the best, or most important, pictures on the forum, ever. It ahould be logged for reference.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 13.09. 2022 16:59 »
What's the blue bike?
I'm guessing a late AMC machine, AJS?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #22 on: 13.09. 2022 18:26 »
Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated, the connections on the oil tank have not been masked off but they will be before the next coat goes on, should I give Leon another verbal warning to go with the one for laying down on the job!!!

The blue bike is a AJS Model 14cs replica (well spotted that man) we built maybe ten years ago, I have a soft spot for AMC lightweights my father bought me a two year old Matchless G5 350cc for £70 (that's what he told me it cost, knowing my father he didn't pay that much) when I started my apprenticeship with Bowden in 66 replacing the D3 Bantam which was his and the Tiger Cub, he said I needed something reliable for work.

Ten years ago I bought a pile of Lightweight bits and built one Model 14 road going bike which I still have and the bike in the photo which I have just sold to a very nice gentleman in Leeds.

I am hoping to sell a few more as space is of a premium at the moment but the market is pretty flat so may wait till next spring, has anyone got any thoughts on this.

Kind regards Colin

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #23 on: 18.09. 2022 21:40 »
Thank you Slight for that suggestion I may well do that, due to only spending Saturday in the shed we don't have much to show again and I am still waiting for replacement shells after lots of promises plus Leon has asked me to say that it is not he that is having the laser treatment but his dog, Chip.

About three quarters of the black was sprayed on Saturday plus the two mudguards have been repaired and primed ready for top coat, cylinder and head have had a coat of high temp black gloss, I am hoping to make inroads next weekend but that all depends if I get the shells, we shall see.

Kind regards Colin

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #24 on: 25.09. 2022 15:12 »
Hello to all,

The good news is I received the replacement set of big end shells on Thursday but as Leon's dog had an appointment at the vets again (I have edited in case it offends, thanks Slight) on Friday we only had Saturday on the bike and it was a busy day.

First job fit the stand, I had previously bored the worn out journals from 1/2" to 9/16" and made a new spindle to suit and it fitted and worked fine, swinging arm and rear shocks were fitted, need to make some decent fixings next week.

With the frame on it's stand and some suitable blocks of wood to steady it the engine and gearbox plates were fitted and gearbox slotted into place. Then the new shells were fitted and crank fitted to cases not forgetting the camshaft and then the crankcase dropped into place between the plates, the cylinder was fitted and bolted down and all the fixing bolts were tightened up, pushrods fitted and the head and torqued down. the mag and dynamo were offered up as a dry fit and seemed okay.

We did have a mix of bolts and studs some too long which were shortened and there is a sleeve nut (nearside to right of dynamo) part number 67-1292 which I don't have but I can make, anyone know what purpose it serves, there is a photo showing the location.

Hoping to do the timing and fit the forks next weekend, anyone got any tips on fitting the trousers?

Kind regards to all Colin

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #25 on: 25.09. 2022 21:18 »
G'day Colin.
Wow M8 you don't mess around. Can I send my next project over to you?????
Re the forks I use one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112739134622
Back in the day a broom handle screwed into the thread, lift with both hands and get your 3rd and 4th hand to do up the pinch bolt.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 26.09. 2022 00:33 »
The sleeve nut definitely goes against the engine plate. The same nut was used on the plunger and rigid bikes and I can see no purpose for it.
A friend and I have been arguing about its location for years, he being of the same opinion as Hitch but has now come around to my way of thinking after seeing numerous original photographs.

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #27 on: 26.09. 2022 09:04 »
Thanks for the comments guys and I too cannot see any purpose for this sleeve nut other than better accessibility for a spanner around the dynamo but why would you need it as it doesn't hold anything else in place, something to think about.

Have a good day everyone

Colin

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #28 on: 26.09. 2022 20:59 »
G'day SHM.
Yes that's where both mine go.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #29 on: 03.10. 2022 15:55 »
Sadly Leon was absent again on Friday so he is now a final written warning, so instead of twiddling my thumbs the rims and spokes arrived so I was able to spend Friday assembling those, I have a fixture which holds the rim while I true it up, the front wheel fitted without issues but the rear wheel spindle was too large so I set it up on the bike and trued it in situ, so both wheels trued up and ready for tyres, please see photos.

Saturday arrived and so did Leon, first job was to load the van with some bikes as we had entered three bikes in the Mid Wales Classic Bike Show at Pant-y-Dwr on the Sunday (yesterday) bit of a squeeze to get them in but all securely in place.

Rest of the day was spent assembling the timing side which went well, mag and dynamo fitted and everything timed, tappets done and we also assembled the primary side only issue there was the clutch pushrod, there is a Triumph four spring clutch fitted and the existing pushrod was badly worn and by searching the forum I found the length it should be was 12", as the existing worn one was 11 3/4 I made a new one but that when fitted was too long so I will reduce the length to suit in the week.

Need to press on with the front forks this coming weekend and get the rest of the black bits done, but things are progressing well under the circumstances.

The bike show on Sunday was very enjoyable, hope to go again next year.

Kind regards to all Colin