Author Topic: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960  (Read 2914 times)

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
Re: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960
« Reply #45 on: 14.11. 2022 13:03 »
Hello to all,

I am a bit late with this update, there are reasons for this and I will explain later, so this should be the last update in the rebuild of this bike, rear number plate plus rear lamp, the toolbox which allowed me to fit the cheap horn inside and wire it up.

Also put the fuse in the tool box for ease of access, checked electrics and all working. next was petrol tank, badges, rubbers and taps including pipes fitted and tank to frame followed by the seat and lifting handle all good, put oil in the forks and wheeled it out of the shed and as sun was shining took a few photos, it won't be used now until the Spring when it will be insured, taxed and ridden, I will report back on how it performs on the road.

Yesterday which was Sunday we went to Aylesbury to look at a 1930 Douglas T6 600 flat twin, hence the late update, it was all there but in boxes and minus the headlamp, we bought it and brought it home, I hope this keeps us going through the winter months.

Take care all and I wish you health and happiness for next year.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #46 on: 14.11. 2022 13:24 »
Looks lovely Colin, and in record-breaking time. Hope she goes as well as she looks - I'm sure she will.
Maybe a little bit of attention before Spring to the brake arm angles? (Not that I'm a quibbler or knit-picker - au contraire! - but the rear one particularly looks a bit odd from here.)
Meantime, best of luck with the Duggie- you really do have catholic tastes to exercise those skills!
Cheers,
Bill
Bill

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #47 on: 14.11. 2022 14:38 »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the kind comments and I couldn't agree more with you about the angle of the brake arms, the strange thing is the shoes were re-lined by Villiers and are a good fit in the drums so why the lever is at that angle is strange.

Does the angle of the square hole in the lever have any affect on the position of the lever because the angle of the hole in my original levers bear no resemblance to the photos of Drags brake levers, I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

On face value the position of the lever tells you the shoes are worn out and they were worn out when I stripped the bike down hence the new shoes and Villiers did what seemed to me a good job which I am now doubting

PS
All the above doesn't matter..................I had the lever on back to front, turned it around and it seems to be okay to me but I would welcome any comments.

PPS

Thanks Bill for the help on the dynamo too, all working fine and I love it when you talk French!!!

Kind regards Colin

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #48 on: 14.11. 2022 15:50 »
Great job, regarding the brake lever, that's looks a lot better, you may have the incorrect cable, I think there is several lengths available. It's not a brilliant  brake, very spongy, but once set up correctly is adequate for sedate rides.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #49 on: 18.11. 2022 08:28 »
Thanks for the comment Billy, I did buy the wrong cable at first so had to buy what I think is the correct cable, I am looking forward to putting the bike on the road next spring and seeing how it goes.

Kind regards Colin

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #50 on: 18.11. 2022 11:07 »
Great work, great bike, thanks for photos.

ps, no tech topics here, please make a topic in ...the tech boards  ;)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 18.11. 2022 11:35 »
Hi All,
Modifying the cable to make the outer as short as possible and getting the brake arms working through 90 degrees will give a very good rear brake.. afaik the rear linings should be thicker than those commonly available?
To improve shoes with the thinner linings make some steel pads that wrap around the cam faces on the shoes
(At your own risk)

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #52 on: 18.11. 2022 11:37 »
Have you tried turning the brake lever over, I've sometimes found that it improves the angle.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 18.11. 2022 13:25 »
Well, Collin, it certainly looks great.  I am appropriately and deservedly shamed by the speed of completion of this project and the tediously slow-to-non-progress on mine. By my calculation, you've had the Douglas home for more than 24 hours now, so, I assume it's done.

Richard L.

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #54 on: 30.04. 2023 12:23 »
Hi everyone, hope you all survived the cold wet winter we just had, over the last few weeks we have had a couple of warmer days so I had the chance to take the A10 out for a few short runs now that it is taxed and insured and I am very impressed with it. It has lots of torque and goes through the gears nicely I am hoping to use it a lot over the summer.

In January we started working on the Douglas I won't bore you with details but it's finished now so here are few photos and time now to look for another project.

Kind regards Colin

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #55 on: 30.04. 2023 12:58 »
Another amazing job Colin. (What took you so long by the way?!)
Chapeau!
What next I wonder??
I'm sure a few of us could ship you a few boxes supposedly with a whole bike in them to put together if you like  . . .  Just in case you get bored one wet Tuesday afternoon
Bill