Author Topic: K2FTT vs Joe Hunt  (Read 316 times)

Offline maaseyracer

• Active
K2FTT vs Joe Hunt
« on: 11.12. 2022 22:31 »
I have both a Lucas Racing Magneto which I believe is a K2FTT and I have a Joe Hunt with my A7 Rigid Racer. I am not sure which was run originally. I am very familiar with Joe Hunt mags and I have run them on several applications with great success. I have never run a lucas magneto, and I am generally leary of lucas ignitions. What is the general consensus on these options. I would like to sell one to fund a couple other things that I need to source to put this back on the road. Any preferences amongst this group? If I were to keep the Hunt magneto I would modify it to have an advance/retard lever.
California 48 A7 LS, short stroke motor.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: K2FTT vs Joe Hunt
« Reply #1 on: 12.12. 2022 09:11 »
The Hunt mag is brutal and basic, and very vulnerable in some installations, while the K2FTT is/was a fine piece of engineering.
{Incidentally, whether you're "leary" or not of Lucas stuff, don't believe the sh*te about Lucas that some US-orientated sites love to pump out}

That said, the K2FTT mag has likely been rebuilt and rewound over the years, and the "TT" aspect now amounts to little more than a red label, but I'd still go for  it by choice.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2 on: 12.12. 2022 09:58 »
The Hunt mag is brutal and basic, and very vulnerable in some installations, while the K2FTT is/was a fine piece of engineering.
{Incidentally, whether you're "leary" or not of Lucas stuff, don't believe the sh*te about Lucas that some US-orientated sites love to pump out}

That said, the K2FTT mag has likely been rebuilt and rewound over the years, and the "TT" aspect now amounts to little more than a red label, but I'd still go for  it by choice.

I agree with Rex here in principle, but I don't think it's black and white.

Hunt pros and cons:
They are a 'twin-spark' jobbie that looks a bit like a Lucas SR2 and if adaptor plates are needed (like I believe when fitted to some Tri-hards) can be a bit less than robust. I have heard of problems in that department, but not sure whether it would be applicable on an A7 / A10. They also don't have a great look, to many eyes, but then neither do Lucas SRs to mine!
That said, the twin spark system, especially if the mag's fitted with the  red competition coil not the standard black one, is a mighty powerful unit and of course in whichever case guarantees correct timing on both sides. Which I imagine is an important consideration? I've rebuilt them on a few bikes used for competition purposes over here, and been impressed with the high energy spark. Parts are very easy too, which helps, although the basic units and the major bits (rotors, bodies etc) don't come cheap if buying new. The makers aren't always the world's most helpful on the 'phone, but their web site is fine. Those who prefer static coils that aren't subject to the rotating forces of a trad K2 Lucas may well prefer them, and maintenance is a heck of a lot easier. Also local enough to you!

K2FTT pros and cons:
Probably not got original spec guts in all respects as Rex says. But, looks right, straight fit and will work perfectly fine. If fitted with the 'R' stainless drive end on the armature, it is extra-robust, but vagaries in timing caused by fretting of camring, wobble on the standard type Lucas cb arrangement etc, make for potential sources of mild inaccuracy in firing interval over time compared to the Hunt. Flange fitting is robust of course. If in good nick, should serve for years and years, and there are folk who can fix them too, although not so many where you are.

If I were in Europe, I'd stay with the Lucas; being in Ca, I think I'd be at least tempted by the Hunt. Presumably no real need for advance and retard on a race bike either, which gets that out of the equation.

So, for me, it's 'some and some' and I'm not as one-eyed pro-Lucas as I would be if it was a road machine for use this side of the pond! Think I might try both and see how I got on, do some strobing, etc etc to gauge performance.

I also agree with Rex that we shouldn't join the bar-room pundits in often uninformed criticism of Lucas mags. They were amazing for the price, even if not up to the standards of Bosch and maybe BTH in some mechanical aspects of their construction. But they do have fully laminated bobbins, which the others didn't and later ones have bigger drive end bearings than any other comparable make. Lamination is an electrical plus in terms of reduction of eddy currents, even if it's offset a bit by the use of through-screws and dowels to hold the armature together, rather than 4 pairs of screws into 'solid'.
Bill

Offline maaseyracer

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 12.12. 2022 21:35 »
Never had an issue with Hunt mags, very basic. I appreciate the heads up on Lucas, I have had a lot of issues with Lucas products I tend to avoid them, but to be fair I have yet to run a Lucas Mag, I may try it with this bike. I highly doubt that this motorcycle will ever see RPM high enough to find limitations of either of these.
California 48 A7 LS, short stroke motor.