Author Topic: 61 super rocket wheel hubs  (Read 1166 times)

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
61 super rocket wheel hubs
« on: 12.10. 2009 09:43 »
Hi all, anyone know about cast iron full wheel hubs ?.
Looking at my front hub, it is an 8" dia affair, no part numbers are visible.It seems to differ slightly from others I have seen in that the ribs around the drum are proud of the edges ie they are a slightly  bigger diameter, and there are  6  of them. On pictures/photo`s I have seen A10`s of this period have only 5, less prominent ribs,which are same diameter, or slightly smaller, dia than the  edges of the drum(where the spokes emerge)-they look more like the "cotton reel" type. Otherwise the hub seems okay.
Is it off a later variant i.e. A50/65?-one of my fork legs has "A50" discreetly stamped onto the cast lug at the bottom of the slider-as my bike is a fairly late s/r-`61, is it possible that bsa were beginning to use parts from the unit models as old stocks dried up?
The rear hub is what i would describe as a cotton reel type with 5 of the less prominent ribs-that has the part number 42-6313, this is listed as such in the earlier parts list covering up to about `58,but in the later parts list the number changes to 42-6309?-no difference in the casting as far as I can see, but i believe hub colour changed to silver in`60 or thereabouts, could this be the reason for the part no. change?
Any info appreciated, cheers, Bob.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
Re: 61 super rocket wheel hubs
« Reply #1 on: 12.10. 2009 19:31 »
bsa used what ever parts they had at the time i wouldn't worry about the hub
once its painted it will blend in  nobody is going to tell the deference  except the
anorak rivet counters and anyway most BSAs have non standard parts on them
i also have electronic ignition on mine dont tell anybody

dave

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 61 super rocket wheel hubs
« Reply #2 on: 12.10. 2009 22:23 »
Bob,
       your front hub may be a Triumph one.
They are interchangeable but the Triumph type has more ribs.
Trev.