Author Topic: ’61 Super rocket rear brake switch action  (Read 382 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
’61 Super rocket rear brake switch action
« on: 04.03. 2023 01:59 »
A while back a I had a moment of train-spotter-ness and bought the ‘proper’ rear brake switch for my 61 super rocket. But when trying to fit it, the direction of movement of the lug on the brake pedal is parallel to the switch lever and hence does not operate the switch.
see this short video to see what i mean: https://youtu.be/Tj-DahsKMCw
I assume I need to bend it but find that surprising and want to be sure I’ve got this right before i potentially mess it up.

As far as I can tell, the switch is correct NOS (pn 34257, see pic below) and the brake pedal correct for the bike (spline, cross hatch pattern on the foot lever and the lug for the switch). I don't think the brake pedal is bent and there is quite a bit of travel already, much more and my foot would touch the road.

there's 2 pics below I grabbed from somewhere (probably this forum) of different bikes where it looks the same as mine, but I assume works.
EDIT: I added a pic of my bike in case someone thinks the brake pedal looks bent or odd.

Any thoughts on this? Surely its something obvious I’m just missing.

Thanks!
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: ’61 Super rocket rear brake switch action
« Reply #1 on: 04.03. 2023 08:53 »
Studying this picture I'd say the switch is operated by that lug on the pedal moving anticlockwise. The switch arm moves clockwise to make the switch. Does your switch operate that way?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.03. 2023 10:22 »
Had a switch like that but replaced it with a later pull type because the 'rotary' one was prone to draining the battery by randomly coming on.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.03. 2023 11:59 »
The setup on my A10.

You need to fettle the position of the "D" for best action.

After time the internal mechanism wear/corrodes making it unreliable.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.03. 2023 23:30 »
Hi All
Mike, You need to rotate the switch until most of it is behind the tool box,
then the lever will pivot rather than slide on the brake pedal

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 08.03. 2023 00:47 »
Thanks for your comments on this guys. In playing around with it, I think part of the problem is the lug on the brake pedal is too far rotated clockwise when at rest, in that the brake pedal action creates most movement more ‘vertically’ (along the line of the switch lever) rather than more ‘horizontally’ which would activate the switch. But if I sufficiently rotate the brake pedal on the spline (so the lug activates the switch) the pedal is way too low.

I think the brake pedal is right for the bike – assume 42-7044. The forging number (under thick paint) looks like 42-4028 (or 42-4026 but I don’t think that’s valid) and I’m assuming that p/n 42-7044 and 42-7027 are from the same forging just different in the lug vs spring hole of the earlier models.

The pedal does not look bent but maybe it is as it appears to sit differently when compared to other a10 photos. Before I re-shape it or butcher the lug I’m going to compare the pedal with some other 'live' super rockets to be sure. That may take a while so in the meantime I’ll revert to the aftermarket spring pull-type switch as before.

To be continued…!
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS