Author Topic: Paint finish  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Paint finish
« on: 13.10. 2009 02:20 »
Here's a question for those of you who are into originality.

I recently aquired a 1951 rigid frame A10, I know from the factory records it was originally supplied in beige (gold). I have just cleaned up the front wheel and it doesnt appear that the rim was ever chromed and the inside of the brake plate is also beige. This is the 8" alloy brake plate.

Now we all know about the nickel shortage at that time but I have searched every book and reference I have and can not find any reference to the wheels being painted instead of chrome.

My question being does anyone have anything that might suggest some left the factory with painted rims, and maybe tank. Bearing in mind mine is a export model and may or may not have some differences to the ones sold in the UK.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Paint finish
« Reply #1 on: 13.10. 2009 02:30 »
All paint finishes were always optional.
What you got was controlled by one of 2 things;-
How much you were willing to pay
How many you were willing to order.
The factory despatch books will have the data you need to know, the question is how much ar you willing to pay to find out ?
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 13.10. 2009 10:41 »
Hi Brian,   

The following information is taken from Roy Bacons' book "BSA Twin Restoration".

Page 205:

1950-51 A10 models.  All parts either Black or Polychromatic Silver Beige.  Fuel tank chrome plated with black or beige panels.  Wheel rims chrome plated with black centres lined with gold or beige centres lined with red.

1951-52.   As 1950 except tank all beige with panel outlined and painted back brakeplates.

The rear cover shows a 56/57 A10 with chrome rims and painted centres.

Also on page 169 it states that the rim finish is either chrome plated or chrome plated with a lined centre.

So I agree with BSA_54A10 that the painted and lined rims were an optional extra.

FYI.  The BSA factory code for Polychromatic Silver Beige was number 24.

Beezageezauk.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.10. 2009 11:19 »
Thanks guys, I dont have that particular book but must get it as another reference. This is probably going to be one of those things that I may never be able to work out exactly. Apparently the despatch records only state that the bike was supplied in beige, it doesnt say just which parts were painted or chromed. I wouldnt mind if the tank was painted and not chromed, would save a lot of money.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 13.10. 2009 19:09 »
but it wouldn't look as good without chrome

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 14.10. 2009 10:35 »
All of the 25,000,000,000,000,000 books attributed to Roy Bacon are simply the press releases sent to his office when he was a 3rd rate motor journalist which he squirrled away and got a pile of subbies to rehash into books once he got the initial format worked out.
As such the information is ONLY correct for the home & general export models that BSA were INTENDING to produce, not necessarily correct for what the factory actually produced and oft totally wrong for the USA & European versions.
In OZ we got both the direct factory orders and unsold USA rejects so your bike could be the General Export , USA West Coast or USA East Coast version.

The BSAOA Vic do have a copy of the factory records so if you really want to you can sit down and research what wheel finishes BSA actually used ( as opposed to what they were intending to use 18 months earlier) but you might have to hand in your lisence due to old age before you finish ( they are not easy to read) 
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #6 on: 14.10. 2009 16:57 »
Roy Bacon is God  *eek* , Oh and that nice Mr Haynes... [yes I am joking, they're rubbish.]. But I go to bed with Roy Bacon every night..
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 15.10. 2009 08:34 »
I agree that Bacon and especially Haynes are not the best but as with all this stuff you have to cross reference several sources of information to try and find info that is as close and you can reasonably get.

The fact that the inside of the front brake plate is painted makes me think that this particular bike most likely had painted wheels and tank. The tank will determine what finish I do it in, the tank I have at the moment is only suitable to be painted and its going to take a lot of work to get it to that stage. If I can find a decent tank that is able to be rechromed then I will go with chrome wheels and tank. It will be a couple of years before I start restoring this one as I have two others to do first so with a bit of luck I can find a beter tank in the meantime.

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 15.10. 2009 21:36 »
G'day Brian,
Have a quick look on ebay (Aust.), there is an early tank for A10 on there,
a bit rough but worth a look,

Cus
56 G/Flash project