Author Topic: BSA 350 Fury  (Read 699 times)

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA 350 Fury
« Reply #15 on: 17.03. 2023 08:54 »
Hindsight is always 20:20 though. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 17.03. 2023 10:07 »
Yes but "hindsight" 20:20? No, FORESIGHT (which E.T. did not have) is the 'go' eh? - Sochiro had that in spades didn't he?

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #17 on: 18.03. 2023 03:52 »
Hind sight ?
His contemporaries
Irvin, Hopewwod, Heele, Munro & Davis all said Turners designs were full of basic engineering flaws
That is not hind sight that is a critique from THE TIME.
Page did not join in in the critism but of course Page worked under Turner & wanted to keep his job
Read some of the motorcycle publications from the day
Hind Sight is things like the failure of the BSA /Triump group to market the triple & 4 cylinder the instant it was designed being attributed to Turners refusal to allow any one to tamper with his perfect design , HIND SIGHT is attributing things to Turners massive ego that is hind sight
Top ends ripping out of crankcases & engines seizing is real time not hind sight.
And I was not going to mention the rear wheels of the Sq 4 that could not take the torque of the engine in the rare times that it could deliver full power .
However you can not reationally argue religion with a devout believer who refuses to accept FACTS
So you can believe what ever you want to but it does not change the actual unargeuable facts that Turner was a shit engineer .
PS his father was a good engineer and I often wonder how much of the early work attributed the Edward was really the work of his dad.

And do not forget that BSA bought Triumph because Triumph, under Turners management was bankrupt for the second time.
Now attributing the massive number of warranty failures in the USA as being a prime cause is hindsight but noting that the speed twins had the highest failure rate of any British motorcycle imported into the USA is a fact .
So hindsight is wondering why BSA allowed Turner to join BSA rather than giving him his marching orders
And when he finally was asked to go & became freelance name a single product that he designed that actually went to market .
Bet you can not

To quote the real engineer who turned the Comet into the Rapide one PE Irvin
"Turner made the speed twin with a 360 deg crank because he was not capable of working out the resonant vibrations and rocking moments of anything more complicaed than a single and even then he got them wrong . "
Now if you want to read what I believe is the truth about the state of British motorcycle engineering in the era, get a copy of Irvin's autobiography .
It is a difficult read because it is written like an engineers diary with way too many fine details .
And he does not belittle other engineers of the time in order to elevate his own status.

This is the opinions of a man who went on to design a world beating F1 race car ( repco brabham) that was still winning races 20 years latter .
The man who quadrupled the torque from Chamberlain Tractors
Invented the wire rolling method of making piston rings which is still in use today.
So that is the sign of a competant engineer, a person who can make successful things over a wide range of uses

A stylist usually is limited to a single item

And name a book on motocycling design or engineering written by Turner
or even articles in period publications under Turners name or any nondeplume attributed to Turner .

Tuning for Speed is still in print because it was written by a competant engineer who knew what he was doing .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 18.03. 2023 05:56 »
Yes, agreed. Irving was the REAL brilliant engineer. But he was also a self-promoter! (I don't mean anything derogatory, because if there was ever a man who deserved promoting it was Phil.
(I once sussed him in the 'Technical Bookshop', Swanston Street, shuffling 'Tuning for speed' to the front of the shelves).
Great to have had a few words with the man- about Velos mainly.
Phil had foresight. So much of what he wrote in the 50's 60's and 70's is as true today as it was then.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: 18.03. 2023 08:15 »
And thet's wyh "Tuning for Speed " is my bible. Sadly lost in the fire.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 18.03. 2023 08:25 »
And thet's wyh "Tuning for Speed " is my bible. Sadly lost in the fire.
Cheers

http://www.moto-depoca.com/wp-content/uploads/Tuning_for_Speed1.pdf

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 18.03. 2023 10:31 »
Hind sight ?
His contemporaries
Irvin, Hopewwod, Heele, Munro & Davis all said Turners designs were full of basic engineering flaws
That is not hind sight that is a critique from THE TIME.
Page did not join in in the criti etc

You've certainly got one on for old Ed.
As the Bard had it, "methinks he doth protest too much".

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #22 on: 18.03. 2023 18:59 »
G'day TT.
Thank you very much. I had thought about searching for a download but never got around tuit.
Now to fill the printer with ink and paper. I prefer to read a hard copy rather than sit at the monitor for hours. With workshop manuals I usually just print the section I need.
I'll put that link in the "Service literature, Scans, Links, Documents.
Karma given.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 18.03. 2023 19:05 »
G'day TT.
Thank you very much. I had thought about searching for a download but never got around tuit.
Now to fill the printer with ink and paper. I prefer to read a hard copy rather than sit at the monitor for hours. With workshop manuals I usually just print the section I need.
I'll put that link in the "Service literature, Scans, Links, Documents.
Karma given.
Cheers

It’s thanks to whoever took the time to scan it.

Needless to say, I’ve had a hardback copy for a long time.

It’s an interesting work.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #24 on: 18.03. 2023 19:36 »
G'day TT.
Yes when I was building my race A7ss I tried to use as much as I could out of that book.
I'm sure I had the fastest A7 around. No one else was silly enough to race one *ex* She was good for 240kph and 8000rpm (OK she did blow a few times). Won B grade State Titles at Eastern Creek in 96 & 97 with more A graders behind than in front.
Cheers
Sorry getting off track.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7