Author Topic: Registration query  (Read 403 times)

Offline Nomad54

• 🏴
  • Moving Up
Registration query
« on: 10.12. 2023 18:02 »
Hi guys new to this forum but hope you can help with my query. I have recently inherited an a10a 1963 registered gold flash alternator model. I am waiting to receive the v5 documents from my late cousins estate but I have all the previous mot's and service sheets which show the bike to be registered April 1963 with a B suffix registration. I may be wrong but I thought the B suffix was for 1964. Once I get the V5 docs I will be able to query it with the DVLA but in the meantime I thought that some of the more knowledgeable  guys out there may be able to help me.
BSA 1963 A10A
Stirlingshire
Scotland

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Registration query
« Reply #1 on: 10.12. 2023 20:13 »
A for 1963, but not all registration authorities used it, many still using non suffix marks.

B for 1964, again not all registration authorities used it, many still using non suffix marks.

C for 1965 all the authorities adopted the "C" suffix.

Does your registration number match the area to which the factory sent your bike?

Be very careful about asking the DVLA to ammend a frame number, it can open a can of worms. I suggest you contact the BSAOC dating officer and seek advice.

Offline Nomad54

• 🏴
  • Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 10.12. 2023 20:59 »
Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of contacting the BSA owners dating officer.
BSA 1963 A10A
Stirlingshire
Scotland

Offline Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10.12. 2023 21:24 »
Julian S is definitely wise to advise you to be wary of querying anything with the DVLA. They can drag simple thing on for months (or even in one case I know of, over a year) for what should take a week or two. All of the time preventing ones use of the vehicle.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.12. 2023 21:28 »
There are worse things than a bike registered with the “wrong” end letter.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 10.12. 2023 21:30 »
+1 to that.  Contacting the DVLA can end in a can of worms.  The A, b, C thing was very informal and don't assume that the years were exact.  E only ran half a year.
If its not been on a SORN do that first, that will get you in the system and means they have to issue a new log book free if its on an old style book.  When was it last on the road?  All  you really need is the reg, after that its about getting a replacement log book.  Can the executor ask for a replacement then you can do a change of owner?
There's no great need to sort out the numbers and age, it is what it is after 60 years, It wasn't uncommon for old unused reg numbers to get assigned later to use them up.
Slough 59 GF/SR