Author Topic: Dynamo !!!!  (Read 7237 times)

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
Re: Dynamo !!!!
« Reply #30 on: 01.11. 2009 18:13 »
Well i've checked everything I can think of and the only thing it can be is the DVR2, so I'm going to get a new one and hope it's that. Let you know how I get on, thanks you all for your help, Tone.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 01.11. 2009 19:52 »
Tone,
         You can use the old regulator to test. Just take the battery out of the circuit and measure output at the battery leads.
                         Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #32 on: 01.11. 2009 21:29 »
Tone, you mention you cant use the old regulator to test as its 6v, at what stage did you go 12v because the DVR2 has to be wired differently for 12v.

If you do suspect the DVR2 I am sure if you send it back to Mike he will test it for you.

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #33 on: 02.11. 2009 18:55 »
Yes, do not connect the white wire for 12V output. Polarity of battery matters of course, as well as dynamo output polarity. I have tried to make the DVR2 unit as robust against faults as I can, within what is an acceptable price. Bulletproof against all connection faults or whatever is possibly feasible but impractical. Fitting the recommended fuse helps too.

One other point to watch is dynamo belt slipping. I had problems with this initially with Hawker kit. I find the belt has to be really quite tight with the higher load put on the drive by 12V operation.

Tone, I will be more than happy to test your regulator free of charge (bad pun there), or call me to discuss
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #34 on: 02.11. 2009 21:01 »
One other point to watch is dynamo belt slipping. I had problems with this initially with Hawker kit.

That is a very good point. I have had to tighten mine up two or three times, and to be fair, Sean did tell me  that would probably be the case until the belt had settled down. If I were you Tone I would check the belt if that is what you have fitted, and if you have, it is also possible that you could have oil contamination causing the belt to slip. I seem to remember Sean saying that sometimes a mod is required to the inner timing cover to prevent this happening. Should you find oil contamination Sean will do the mod for you.

Richard

« Reply #35 on: 02.11. 2009 21:46 »
Tone,
Just one point about the fixing bracket for the ammeter, if the bracket goes across the two terminals on the ammeter and it is not insulated from the connections themselves then the ammeter will not register any charge or discharge as the bracket will be bridging the circuit, also you will more than likely have a dead short to chassis if the headlamp shell is earthed (presuming it is in a metal headlamp shell), so please check that first.
So with a meter set on continuity and with the battery disconnected and the lights switched of check from the ammeter terminal to chassis and it should read clear i.e. no needle movement.
Richard

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #36 on: 06.11. 2009 19:53 »
Hi all, Sorted, I managed to fry the regulator, got a new oneall ok now thanks again for all your help, Tone.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #37 on: 06.11. 2009 20:50 »
Tone, glad you got it all sorted, and thanks for letting us no what the fault was.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #38 on: 28.05. 2010 23:20 »
For some time I have had a problem with my charging system cutting in and out intermittently. I've never really got around to fixing this until now (there were always plenty of more pressing issues to deal with). Anyway, I removed the dynamo tonight and as I suspected discovered that the wiring on the back of it was in a fairly poor state and most of the terminal connector screws were very loose. I've cleaned things up and replaced what needed replacing but now stupidly can't remember which wire to connect to F and which to connect to D. A previous owner has strayed from the original colour scheme, so no clues there, and i just have two options available. One wire is attached to a terminal connecting it to one of the brushes. The other one goes back into the body of the dynamo. I've searched around quite a bit on the forum, but I can't seem to find anything which actually tells me which of these wires is which.

Sorry for being dim.

Simon
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 29.05. 2010 00:42 »
Simon,
             "D" terminal connects to a brush, "F" connects to the field coil which is inside the body.
Your external wires will have to be traced back to the regulator.
Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #40 on: 29.05. 2010 07:27 »
This might help.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #41 on: 29.05. 2010 17:51 »
Look at the regulator and note colour of wires...  FADE = Field, Ammeter, Dynamo, Earth,
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red