Author Topic: Magneto repair?  (Read 14446 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Magneto repair?
« on: 09.03. 2006 22:49 »
Hi, who are currently the best in England to take care of my magneto? Twin (with manual control), needs everything new except the body, and want a perfect job that lasts for a while.
Regards

Edit August 2009:  I did start on a quite complete magneto overhaul, see http://a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=1375.0 for details, story and pictures
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Michael Yates

Re: Magneto repair?
« Reply #1 on: 14.03. 2006 08:58 »
I tried FTW 3 years ago and found it looked superb but was expensive.  But when on bike using dial gauge for advance (A10 magneto with manual advance) there was massive difference between each cylinder.  Phoned to complain and told bring it in and they could grind the slip ring.  No satisfactory answer why they didn't check it, they have the magmaster machine in there work shop.
I would go SRM not cheap but am impressed with there service.
Now fitted SRM digital in mag body and its brilliant and maintenace free.
Mikey

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 14.03. 2006 11:40 »
Thanks for the usefull answer, you experienced exactly what I am trying to avoid, having to find the faults after an expensive repair and all the hassles with complaining etc.  :(  Have heard before that not all repaired magnetos have the L R cylinders firing accurately, you confirmed my worries. So SRM it will be. And will think about electronic, altough I have an affinity towards sticking with the original systems.

Regards
Erling
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

beezerbum

« Reply #3 on: 15.03. 2006 01:13 »
Also - anywhere over here in the USA?  I have a bum K2F on my other A10.  I know I can ship it to England for sure.

Richard L.

« Reply #4 on: 17.03. 2006 06:17 »
You could spend a lot of money shipping a magneto back and forth to the UK. Repairing the unit yourself is not out of the question. Try www.magneto.co.uk for parts. Of course SRM is great, but they might get their parts from this company. Www.magneto.co.uk may even answer som of the questions that come up, like, how do you replace the condenser? Probably the most mysterious aspect.

beezerbum

« Reply #5 on: 17.03. 2006 14:54 »
Thanks!  I've got most of my bike done, but the mag has NO spark.  I think from my testing, the condensers are the faulty bits.  Maybe a complete replacement armature with the new condesers in itwill be the best. I'm sure they are original. Thanks again!
Dave

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 19.03. 2006 19:10 »
Replacing the capacitor is difficult, but with patience it's no problem. The capacitor in the K2F is moulded into some hard stuff at the drive side of the armature. You have to dig it out carefully without damaging the wiring, then solder on an new one. I filled up with silicone sealant. Results were fine & lasting.

But now the only OK part in my magneto is the capacitor, everything else is worn out & falling to pieces. Well, I could fix it myself up to very-near-perfect, I now how to correct LR firing, shimming etc, but am short of time & energy so I'd like to pay for someone to make it 100%.

Regards
Erling

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #7 on: 21.03. 2006 20:29 »
Just to add another possibility; In Copenhagen Denmark is man who does excellent mag and dynamo etc. rebuilds. More and better windings than new, better sealing, the whole thing straightened in a lathe etc. E.S. Electro if you want contact address I can dig it up. Had mine done and dynamo too; great stuff!

Roadrocket
Otto in Denmark

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 12.03. 2009 21:43 »
hi mate go for electronic carnt go wrong less parts to go wrong i have it fitted in to my original mag and had no probs srm do a good kit also i would think about converting to a 12 volt system better lighting

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #9 on: 12.03. 2009 22:33 »
Disagree rocket man (re sparks) in the very nicest possible way unless you've got an alternator! (I know, Luddite tendency, little faith, old fart etc). Agree with all the plus points of the box of tricks - it's just the small problem of reliable long-term charging  . . and roadside sparks maintenance. Agree with you 100% re 12v conversions though.

What do I know - but there are 4 people in the UK I think I'd send a mag to - SRM, Sean Hawker, Tony Cooper (v highly recommended indeed for quality and price by many v happy punters) and Dave Lindsley. Personally, I've recently had one complete K2FC from SRM, and two additional exchange armatures. Quite-to-very happy. In future, I'll go for the exchange guts and assemble-myself option, as armatures are not that bad price-wise and all the mechanical bits can be got, whereas complete rebuilds start to get a bit costly compared to the cost of the parts. Reasonable enough, skills don't come free.  But while none of us has a Magmaster, obviously, if the coil has been wound and the pole pieces attached correctly, the rest should follow. If in doubt, cam rings are out there too.

Bill

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 13.03. 2009 03:13 »
I've had a few offers over on the "other" brit bike site, JoeA sounded competent (in the states), he has the body remagnetizing unit also, and sounds like he knows what he is doing. 

Also Beno Rudi (sp?) in Atlanta, GA was highly recomended by someone in the GAMBA group. I spoke to him on the phone in my time of need and I felt that if I had the money I would have felt very comfortable sending him mine.  many years of experience and a solid track record.

it's been over a year since my mag went south and I did all the research, and I can't go onto that site from my home connection for some odd reason, but I am the same screenname there if you wanted to search on my posts?
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #11 on: 13.03. 2009 09:30 »
I whole heartly recommend Independent ignition(they refeathered the points key-turnaround 1 day) also many years ago rebuilt my mag.Years later the mag failed so I sent it back to them for a report,they found a batch of slip rings were faulty and repaired my mag free of charge even though it was years outside gurantee.The quailty and knowledge of these people is just brilliant.
Andy

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 13.03. 2009 12:10 »
I have had two done by Tony Cooper and my mate has had more done.  No problems.  Even when one of them had fuel leak into it and caused trouble Tony Cooper repaired it for nothing.

He is certainly the guy I would have do mine in future.

Z

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 13.03. 2009 12:14 »
I have to reccomend Tony Cooper he did mine last year the service was excellent the work good and very reasonably priced

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 13.03. 2009 21:34 »
hi again here is a pic ove the kit its very good had no probs with it myself