Author Topic: A7 plunger electric puzzle 6v  (Read 4230 times)

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
A7 plunger electric puzzle 6v
« on: 15.11. 2009 17:42 »
Today before I set off on a 25 mile ride I checked the lights and all was well the battery had been charged up about two weeks prior and had held its charge.On my return I had no lights or horn took the battery off and it showed 1,3 volts only, put my spare battery on and the lights were back to normal the ammeter shows charge.
 I didnt ride with my lights on today so I would have only used the brake light the switch is not sticking. whats it likely to be bad battery or a regulator problem any feedback would be appreciated.

Richard

Re: A7 plunger electric puzzle 6v
« Reply #1 on: 15.11. 2009 21:30 »
Thats a difficult one to answer at this stage, it could be the regulator is faulty and over charging and has boiled the battery, did you check the battery fluid levels?
is it an electronic regulator?
Charge your spare battery until it is fully charged fit it to the bike and start it up the regulator should after a few minutes not let any charge go into the battery the ammeter should show if it is still charging,in which case the regulator will need sorting. If it is regulating properly then hopefully it will have been a duff battery.
Richard

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 16.11. 2009 10:49 »
RICHARD,
           Yes it is a difficult one let me tell you the latest.
Fully charged my spare battery,fitted it and everything works fine except when you turn
the lights on the ammeter moves over to the plus instead of minus,with the engine running it also goes over to the plus side.I havent checked out the wiring as everything appears to work when I bought the bike and I deceided to run it as is but it looks like I will have to sort the wiring out.My battery which went flat yesterday has charged up and is showing 6.8 volts this morning.I have an old regulator fitted. Alan

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #3 on: 16.11. 2009 11:05 »
Alan... If your using an old type regulator you will find it very useful to have one of those battery status monitors as they give you a good idea of what is going on in your circuits. A fast flashing red light shows it is over charging while a green light will show the dynamo is charging the battery correctly. I have one on all my bikes and use the old regs with no problems. Many will recommend the Manortech electronic regulator if you should want to chuck away the old mechanical reg. You do need to be sure everything is working correctly as damage to the dynamo can occur.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 16.11. 2009 12:22 »
Where should I start, can someone explain what I should do to locate the problem,its evident that all the lights and brake light seem to be coupled up correctly as they all
working.
 What I think I will do is take the headlight glass and rim off, take the tank off so I can get to everything and trace every wire and make myself a new wiring diagram and compare it to what it should be.
     How do I check the regulator  do they either work or not are they adjustable ?

Its a puzzle why the ammeter moves to + when I turn the lights on?

Thanks for everyones imput   Alan

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.11. 2009 17:10 »
Hi Alan,
Your ammeter will work in the wrong direction if it is connected back to front,
OR more than likely when you charged the battery  a few weeks ago you reconnected it wrong way round
This would also explain why it was flat after your trip!!!!!!
It is more likely that it is something simple so check the obvious before dismantling the bike!!!!
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 16.11. 2009 19:21 »
Alan, I agree with John.

The battery has surely got to be the wrong way round. This could easily lead to high currents flowing with a bobbin regulator and would with electronic type as well. Don't know what a BSI LED would show with reverse polarity, whatever the voltage. Best add on (as opposed to replacement) to your electrics is a fuse. Those high current wires run awful close to the carburettor.

Now the reverse connection will probably have repolarised the dynamo. So it will need 'flashing' to restore correct polarity (briefly connect dynamo field to battery live). I assume this should be negative earth for a plunger machine.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 16.11. 2009 20:57 »
AFAIK - LEDs only work oneway, connect them wrong and nothing happens.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 16.11. 2009 21:01 »
Plunger bikes should be pos earth. All were changed to pos earth in about 1949/50 with the introduction of the E3L generator.
Trev.

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 16.11. 2009 21:26 »
Thanks for all your replys,in my workshop manual it says that 1947 to 1950 is negative earth 1951 onwards positive earth. My dynamo is an E3L which is the later type and should be on Positive earth.Anyway taking the regulator top off it lookes really crabby
and following the wires to the dynamo and taking the top off its all oiley and the inside is all loose I think the dynamo has to come off and be checked out and at least tightened up, then I could try to see if its generating any power at all and then re connect to positive earth if thats the thing to do.Will i need to flash the dynamo to positive earth? unless you can suggest any alternatives. Alan

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.11. 2009 21:54 »
Alan,
            It sounds like your generator could do with a major overhaul. Likewise your regulator.
If you know nothing about electrics give them to someone who does.
The regulator is simple to set up if you follow the service sheet instructions but there are a few components which need to be carefully inspected before you start.
Trev.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 17.11. 2009 08:57 »
The only real polarity issue is the dynamo has to be the same polarity as the battery.  "Correct" hardly matters, unless you have an electronic regulator.

Richard

« Reply #12 on: 17.11. 2009 22:14 »
sorry to come in late on this, but I would agree that the battery was connected the wrong way around hence the + on the ammeter when the lights were switched on, also the + showing when the engine was running as more than likley the dynamo was charging correctly but was also charging the battery the wrong way around hence it went flat, the fact that it seems to be at 6.8 volts now may mean it is still ok.
As others have already said
I would remove and service the dynamo, likewise clean the regulator contacts and then refit the dynamo and reflash it, then set up the regulator as per the lucas manual
have a look at this link all you need to know
http://www.bolsover.com/
Good luck
Richard

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 18.11. 2009 09:39 »
Thanks Richard,
     I now have the dynamo off, cleaned it out, back together again and it lights a 12v bulb quite easily,its a work of art getting it off in the first place.
    What I intend to do next is to trace all my wiring to determine if the bike is positive or negative earth wired and then change it to negative earth.
    I will clean down the regulator and reset it to see if everything is working as it should then I will put on a solid state regulator when I have proved the system.
Thanks for all the  messages I will keep posting. Alan

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 28.11. 2009 18:54 »
Well it looks like the ammeter wires were on the wrong way around,checked out all the wiring and its wired for negative earth, re polarised the  dynamo to neg earth and connected up after swapping around the ammeter wires everything seems to work properly and when the lights are turned on the ammeter shows a discharge. Just got to refit the timing side outer cover and fire her up hopefully the problem is solved. Do I grease the dynamo chain or is it oil fed .I cant see any oilways? Alan