Author Topic: A7 plunger electric puzzle 6v  (Read 4232 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: A7 plunger electric puzzle 6v
« Reply #15 on: 28.11. 2009 19:14 »
G'day Alan, the chain should be greased with low temp grease so it melts when hot. Don't forget the gasket between the dynamo and inner timing cover. I did, YUCK. I used red grease so at least I knew where the mess came from.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline unclemeat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 29.11. 2009 23:18 »
I had exactly the same problem with both my Golden flash plunger and my M21. Swapped the leads on the battery and everything was ok.
BSA A10 GOLDEN FLASH 1954
CHANG JIANG COMBO 1968
TRIUMPH THRUXTON 2007

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 30.11. 2009 16:55 »
http://www.britishonly.com/pdf/bsa/sectionY_BSAservicesheetno808.pdf

If I wanted to install a small 6v bulb to tell me when the bike was charging(i.e. the bulb would go out) where would i wire it in ? Alan

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #18 on: 30.11. 2009 17:56 »
to tell me when the bike was charging
...your ammeter not working ?

If you're thinking like having a red lamp (like in a car) when charging stops, thinking loud, you'd need a dynamo-driven relay, which upon loss of voltage from the dynamo connects a lamp to the battery.
...which means when parked the light will stay on until the battery is sapped (unless you ride the bike most of the day)  *smile*, as there is no switch to turn all power off like in a car, so this is not the solution lol
That's why an ammeter is such a good solution, drains no power, very few parts, and shows both charge and discharge.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #19 on: 30.11. 2009 18:32 »
Yup, you could do it, but just another point of possible failure really that would only tell you in very basic terms what an ammeter tells you with more precision. Easy enough to do with coil ignition and a switch like on a car, but as a10gf says, not a great plan on a bike. The gizmo has to measure when the field is drawing more than D is sending out - ie when the battery is being drained. If you look at the things old cars have, you'll see behind the bulb holder, or in it, there's a coil etc. More trouble than it's worth I'd also say. Just keep your eye on that needle from time to time, and you won't go far wrong. If the needle flickers like a good 'un, then maybe worth getting a decent ammeter with proper damping - a lot of the modern replica ones are ****. Many of the old ones have a small adjuster screw to keep the needle under some sort of control . . . 
Heresy though it be, I like the 2in Miller ammeters with a white face best. I can read them without spectacles, and they are really well damped. I trepanned the (non-original) h/lamp shell on my A to take one. No regrets, as decent electrics make one of the biggest differences between Toytown playing and Real Life riding, especially this time of European year!
Bill

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 30.11. 2009 19:13 »
Thanks for that,I think as you say its not worth the problem . Back to fitting my reworked centre stand tonight if the cold  can be braved. Alan

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 02.12. 2009 10:32 »
Well the plot thickens,fitted the centre stand back on complete with a foot bar so I can get a bit of heave ho!!! on the lifting handle. Started the bike and the ammeter just flicks about as if its not connected,took it off and theres a little brass nut floating about inside. Ordered a new Ammeter from Lightening spares awaiting its arrival keep you posted. Alan

Offline bsarider

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 08.12. 2009 19:53 »
Well this is the final posting on the matter,Fitted the new Ammeter,checked out all the
wiring onto negative earth,fitted a fuse from Battery Live to Ammeter, Fitted a Fuse from new solid state regulator to ammeter,hey presto it charges like a gud un.It looks like the culprits were the faulty ammeter,dynamo and unknown regulator. thanks for all you help
Alan