Author Topic: Mass confusion,the correct size of the valves ?? 1959 Golden Flash  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Hi Folks,can anyone give me the correct surface measurement of the intake and output valves for a 1959 Golden Flash.Have tried to order here in germany and have been give 3 different measurements. Have been given 35.9 mm intake(36.5mm intake)  35.2 and a third mm outtake (35 ?) .As always,thanks in advance.-steve
ho ho ho

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Sorry to bug,there are intake and output valves on E bay to be bought,are all A10 valves standard size ?? (obviously intake output are different )?
ho ho ho

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Stephen,

For head types and valve diameters, here is a link to a site often referenced in this forum:

http://atlanticgreen.com/a10alloyhead.htm

I'm not endorsing everything said on this site as being correct, but I have assumed it is from a knowledgeable source. I trust others here will chime in if they have additional or corrective information.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
I have a set of new Flash valves (iron head) in the shed Stephen, if no-one knows at the minute I'll measure them tomorrow and get back to you ( it's minus several here at the moment )
Valves for the Rocket alloy head use different collets on the valve stem, don't know about stem length though ( I should as I've got both bikes ) also there were two sizes of valve seat for alloy heads, with the so called "big valve head" being a very little bit larger.
Haynes manual states the valves for A10 as "all models" but parts book shows different part numbers so I would think there is a size difference, others will comment I'm sure.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Thank you Richard and Bill,seems to be sorted,as I have almost zero knowledge of motorbike engines,you have been very helpfull.My engine has been serviced and rebuilt,the rocker top was completed yesterday,and I took over 12 old/used BSA  A10 valves over there and they told me they were not useable.A friend told me he can recut them,but have been offered new ones for only 40 pounds (including postage,which is a great deal..I think),its just the 100ths of millimeters that do not tally universally (or does that not matter at all due to wear and tear ??)
ho ho ho