Author Topic: Doom and despair  (Read 8405 times)

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
Re: Doom and despair
« Reply #45 on: 22.02. 2010 22:02 »
oh dear im so sorry for you that looks expensive

dave

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #46 on: 22.02. 2010 22:11 »
Unfortunately that isnt the correct place for a bigend bolt.

Fortunately parts for these are not hard to find so once you get it apart and know what you need you should be able to round up all the bits needed to repair it.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 23.02. 2010 01:21 »
Simon,

I'm sorry for your plight and I also think I should apolgize for my earlier optimism. Trying to still be optimistic, it seems to me the case could be repaired without extreme measures. This would definitely be worth it if the halves are matched and they came from the factory with the frame, but you know that.

If it were me, and there was no snow on the ground, I would go back to where the point of the "big bang" and try to find my missing piece of the universe. Maybe, drive by at 60 MPH and thrown something straight down from the window to see how far it travels. Having a friend along to help in the hunt would be a good idea. You're buying the beer (and as my legal disclaimer), to be consumed only after finding the part and within walking distance from home.

Richard L.

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 23.02. 2010 02:10 »
This is not the end of the world, a good welder will be able to fill that holes as if it was never there.
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 23.02. 2010 03:07 »
Yep. Finding the missing piece isn't mandatory, I just thought it would make it a bit easier of a welding job.

Richard L.

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #50 on: 23.02. 2010 14:43 »
Simon,
So sorry that you have such a problem, a good welder should be able to fix the hole though. There's a guy called Alan Brown here in Bristol that replaced the bottom mounting lug on my G3LS crankcase which had been ground off somehow, you'd never know now it wasn't original. These guys are out there, ask around in your area..

Good luck,

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #51 on: 23.02. 2010 19:05 »
Ouch !! So the bolt worked it's way out of the rod and fell into the can trough. Shame it didn't take the same path as the nut.
Look on the bright side. When it's all fixed you'll have a brand new motor. Just don't let the wife see the bank statements.
When ever I buy a bike I always factor in a rebuild and never go far before doing so. You just don't know what the PO has done.
Good luck. keep us posted.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #52 on: 25.02. 2010 19:40 »
Today I took my engine over to Newcastle and left it in the hands of Rob Wardle who assures me that he can weld up the hole in the crankcase and fix it all up for me "Ney bother" he is also going to do a needle roller and end feed conversion. He plans to strip it all down tomorrow and let me know the sum total of the horrific damage caused...

When I got home I decided to set to on the siezed clutch centre. I took the gearbox out of the bike with the primary inner still attached and got the whole thing on the workbench. First I tried applying heat. No movement. I then resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to cut it off. Using my Dremel I made two cuts along the top edges of the keyway, right through the clutch centre. Still no movement. I lifted the piece between these cuts out. Still no movement. I even removed the woodruff key from the shaft and still the remains of the centre would not budge. Finally I gently drove a small wedge into the cut I had made and used it to force the twp sides apart. Eventually the thing lossened its grasp and dropped off withouth any damage to the shaft.

Now all I need to do it locate a new clutch. And get the engine back. And put it all together again.
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #53 on: 25.02. 2010 20:12 »
G'day Mosin,
                 probably better you don't see it fall apart. Good to hear your going the "whole hog" as it will need it.
 I've never had a clutch certre that stubborn. The PO must have heated it up and shrunk it on ! Sort of shows the workmanship (or lack of) of the PO, hence my practice of rebuilding before I ride too far.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #54 on: 25.02. 2010 20:30 »
Nice work with the clutch centre Mosin, the most difficult of problems can be overcome,experience has taught me that the least damage/loss is achieved with the most thought beforehand .......,motor will be costly, but what the hell, life is for living and the result will be a good sound motor to run in and enjoy, keep us posted, Bob

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 26.02. 2010 21:58 »
Hi Mosin,
Neat work getting off the clutch centre *smile*
Take the camera with you when you go and see the damage, we are all anxious to see the innards
As my wife says it could be worse "you could be giving it to a dctor"
Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #56 on: 12.04. 2010 12:43 »
I just thought I'd give an update on this thread...

After two months of anguish and lots of late nights, home from work, babies bathed and in bed, started working on the bike about 10pm etc etc... I finally got my rebuilt engine fitted complete with its brand new four spring clutch, new con rods, reground crank, end feed conversion, Pazon surefire etc etc. I spent Saturday morning getting the timing spot on and doing the last few adjustments and yesterday I got out and rode just over 50 miles on it (albeit at never more than 10% throttle). The sun was shining and the engine purred along more beautifully than ever before, never once missing a beat.

And just once, for the most fleeting of moments, as I rode the last couple of miles home enjoying the warm breeze on my face and watching as the sun set over the Solway Firth and finally dipped behind the hills of southern Scotland in the distance, I nearly... very nearly... managed to forget how much it has all cost!

Cheers for all the help and support guys!
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #57 on: 12.04. 2010 13:21 »
great - glad to hear its running sweet - sounds like it will be running great for years to come..

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #58 on: 12.04. 2010 13:23 »
Well done Simon, a shining example to us all - I'll stop being a tight*rse and fix my gearbox...  *smile*

Have fun on the bike, the weather is right at the moment..

Cheers,

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend