Author Topic: What is in your bike toolkit?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
What is in your bike toolkit?
« on: 10.02. 2010 09:39 »
I am looking out the window at the moment watching the snow coming down in Kent, wondering when the weather will finally clear so I can get the bike out for the first run since the rebuild.

Having not been able to get hold of a rack and small topbox yet to carry a few essential tools, I have managed to get hold of a leather tool roll from evil bay which was a liitle too big to mount under the headlamp on the forks so I have fixed it to the seat with an old leather belt.

I am putting a tool kit together for any roadside repairs and I wondered what tools and other essentials  members carried on the bike to fix common breakdowns, bearing in mind the limited space available, ie spanners and sizes, pliers, spare plugs, bits of wire etc. Has anyone tried the puncture repair canisters which inflate and repair - not sure if they will be small enough to fit in the toolkit space but may avoid getting a recovery service out.

Jim

1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What is in your bike toolkit?
« Reply #1 on: 10.02. 2010 10:43 »
BEER, or/and map of pubs on rout. And ph # of mate with trailer. Aussie tool kit.
 I carry 1 spark plug, plug socket. 10" & 6" shifter, + & - screwdriver, cable ties, 100MPH tape and above.
In 30 + years of riding have had 1 flat, pinched tube 8 times. Call mate with trailer.
Cheers

'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #2 on: 10.02. 2010 10:46 »
Hi Jim,
The bike looks nice...! It's cold here (Bristol) but not snowing, yet!! In fact the weather is holding up my getting the A10 back together so I sympathise..

As I had to start work on the BSA pretty soon after I got it (this was not the intention as it was supposed to replace a Honda VFR400 as a regular bike!) I've not tried to get my usual tool bag in the A10 toolbox.. However the Velo one is a similar size..
Typically I carry spark plugs & spanner, pliers, feeler guage, screwdrivers and a small selection of spanners chosen for their length(!) , ie they will fit in the toolbox!!

I've not tried the puncture repair cylinders. I've heard friends in the AMOC not recommending them for various reasons but I suppose as a "get you home" option they may be ok.
For major events I rely on the breakdown cover included in my insurance , although to be honest I only ever used it so far for the (now sold) Honda !! . Certainly the previous owner of my A10 used a breakdown service for a puncture who hammered a 13mm socket onto the rear wheel nuts of my A10, an act for which I am not grateful..

Cheers,

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 10.02. 2010 11:28 »
If I get a chance, I'll post a pic of my tool roll.
The pre unit tool box is quite capacious, especially if you aren't using the standard regulator box  and dont have that bent bit of metal in there to seperate it from the rest of the toolbox.

As well as what the guys have already said, I would add a small wire brush to clean spark plugs with, a couple of spare fuses, a chain splitlink and a small torch. I also recommend fitting nuts and bolts onto any surplus hole or lug on the frame, so you'll have a spare should anything vibrate loose.
I've had that OKO type goo in my tubes for years. I've never had a puncture on this bike though.

Cheers,
Iain

Offline mrshells

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: 10.02. 2010 14:03 »
Whats a tool kit ?
reliable bikes dont need tool kits  *smile*

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2010 16:23 »
They can work as a lucky charm.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 10.02. 2010 19:41 »
Some Leatherman-type multitool, a plug + plug removal tools, and the most important: a puncture spraycan.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #7 on: 10.02. 2010 19:49 »
They can work as a lucky charm.

I have to agree with that! I never used to have much of a tool kit, or breakdown recovery, and frequently used my mate and his van (i got quite used to sitting on the bike, with the front wheel up against the headboard, and me holding it upright round the corners! All this enclosed in a box van and trying to anticipate when the corners were coming up, some straps would have been handy.) Nowadays i have a decent tool roll, and breakdown recovery, and never seem to use either, having been stuck on the side of the road more with
japanese bikes. *dunno*

Rich

1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 12.02. 2010 10:17 »
I carry 2 spare plugs, spare fuses, tape, wire, nuts & bolts.  A set of Whitworth spanners, plug spanner, stubby screwdriver with interchangeable bits, allen keys, adjustable spanner, cable ties, pliers, rag and lead additive in my tool box ('59 A7 SS).  All fits, just.

Had to be recovered once when the clutch loosened on its taper and sheared the key.  Lapped in on during the repair and been OK since.

Z

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 13.02. 2010 09:09 »
I also have a spare set of magneto pick-ups in the toolkit. I think these weren't mentioned yet. And of course a basic set of other useful tools (plug spanner, screwdrivers, spanners, etc.)
But most of the available space in there is needed for the first aid kit which is mandatory on any motorized vehicle here in Austria. Somehow bothersome to find space for it on a bike sometimes, but nevertheless it makes sense to have one available I think.

Cheers, MG
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 13.02. 2010 15:02 »
G'day all,
             it's starting to look like a bloody big tool kit. Ye all of little faith. On my first real ride out on the cafe the lge circlip that holds the diaphram clutch pressure plate started to come out. I borrowed a screw driver and found a 1/2 house brick to persuade it back in. It was hot so had to drink my tool kit ! LOL
Cheers
PS can't half tell I work as a barman at night.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 13.02. 2010 16:08 »
cell phone and a hand gun - nothing else needed! (though i find that the hand gun will really get you much more that the cell phone will, including trouble!) *eek*

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 13.02. 2010 21:31 »
And I suppose the hand gun could be used to free off any stubborn fasteners!  *smile*

Z

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 14.02. 2010 07:03 »
Its for dealing with loose nuts.

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 14.02. 2010 12:39 »
Its for dealing with loose nuts.

haha -good 1