Author Topic: Silly question about headlight  (Read 2113 times)

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
Silly question about headlight
« on: 15.02. 2010 22:25 »
The A10 in the UK market had a nacelle between 58 and 63, was it a 7" lucas 700 series headlight?

Can the glass be seperated from the chrome piece or is it sealed?

Im currently looking for one and see a few original with made in england on it aswell as 700 headlamp and was just wondering if this could be done incase i have to have the chrome piece rechromed or get the original glass and a repo chrome piece with incase the one i get doesnt have a pilot light.

Any help most appreciated

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Silly question about headlight
« Reply #1 on: 15.02. 2010 22:44 »
The A10 in the UK market had a nacelle between 58 and 63, was it a 7" lucas 700 series headlight?

Yes

Can the glass be seperated from the chrome piece or is it sealed?

If you mean the headlight ring, then, yes.  It is held in with wire clips.  If you mean the reflector, no, they are crimped together.

Im currently looking for one and see a few original with made in england on it aswell as 700 headlamp and was just wondering if this could be done incase i have to have the chrome piece rechromed or get the original glass and a repo chrome piece with incase the one i get doesnt have a pilot light.

You can get new reproduction or NOS headlight rings for MUCH cheaper than a chrome job.  You can also a new lamp (Glass & reflector), which I highly recommend if you intend on using your lights at night.  As these get old, the reflector surface tarnishes and doesn't reflect so well anymore which is bad since we need all the light we can get out of our old beasts.

Cheers.

Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 15.02. 2010 22:49 »
These guys have them:

Here is the one that I purchased for the 53 plunger:
http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=32&id=3436

Is this what you are looking for:
http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=32&id=3414
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15.02. 2010 23:47 »
I dont currently have a headlamp in my procession and the bike im doing came as a basket case.

Thats what i meant if the glass can get seperated from the reflector, because i would like an original glass and try replace the reflector when i get one.
When you say crimped, can i seperate it and then use the chrome rim to cover it up afterwards?

Something like this im after to give you an idea, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LUCAS-MOTORCYCLE-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP-TRIUMPH-NORTON-BSA-60s_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df8a31d4QQitemZ360232661460QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 16.02. 2010 13:23 »
You shouldn't need to go to all that trouble, you can buy the complete glass + reflector assy, with or without pilot light, with Lucas 700 cast in the glass just like the original for about £20 from any show or jumble. Good quality too.

Try this http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffylighting.htm

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.02. 2010 20:56 »
It seems 700 replacement lamps are fairly easy to source but they all appear to be car types.
The original lens had "motorcycle" cast into the glass and had a different diffuser pattern.
I find car types at swaps usually very cheaply and they are left dip types.
Usually there is no provision for a pilot light but that is easily fixed with a 5/8" or 16mm holesaw.
It is possible to prise the crimp around the glass open but not so easy to get it back without breaking the glass.
The reflector is not chrome plated but is silver plated, I have been told. Don't know why it doesn't tarnish if that's the case.
Another bit of trivia, motorcycle bulbs are constructed differently to car bulbs.
Motorcycle bulbs dip straight whereas car types dip to one side, depending on the side of the road on which it is driven.
 Trev.

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #6 on: 16.02. 2010 21:04 »
It seems 700 replacement lamps are fairly easy to source but they all appear to be car types.

That will explain why my lucas headlamp glass says "right hand drive" on it!
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 17.02. 2010 12:56 »
No Trev, they are chromed.
The two piece jobs like on the M20 are silvered.
Some where in between silver & chrome there was a series of reflectors that were "mirrored" ie mercury under a very thin layer of glass.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 17.02. 2010 15:00 »
I guess I would have to buy a brand new type, instead of the original type. thought to have the lights original on the bike to make it look that more original as the day it came out from the factory.
Guess its not worth the trouble since i would only be riding it on the weekends (whenever that day will come)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 20.02. 2010 12:54 »
Some of us silly old farts that like riding bikes that are slower than we can run do even sillier things like cut the glass off a modern semi sealed headlamp to get a better reflecting shape & surface  or to be able to fit modern lamps, while retaining the "period" glass.
You will need a very steady hand and a Dremel too ( not one of the cheapie imitations ) and a lot of the very thin cut off wheels and even more patience. Try a couple of old car jobs first
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 20.02. 2010 17:15 »
BSA_54A10, I happen not to come under the old fart category as Im one of the younger generations who know the BSA brand  ;) and restoring one (currently getting the bits as its a basket case) Im only 28  *smile*
Just had the idea to keep the original look with the glass and get a new reflector  *red* guess ill have to get a whole new headlamp

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 21.02. 2010 11:51 »
Mayby not, but I am, and with slowly failing eyes too boot
Bike Beesa
Trevor