Author Topic: '52 Flash on the road again  (Read 798 times)

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
'52 Flash on the road again
« on: 12.04. 2010 07:40 »
Back on the road again... only took 7mths.
Top end re-built (including valve spring seats that were not fitted at last rebuild), new rings, bore honed after only an hour or so of running (it's amazing what happens when rings are put in upside down) oil pump replaced (thank you Muskrat) front wheel bearings replaced and brake cable attached with more than rust, re-built magneto and carb' overhaul new tyres and away she goes!

Now I have all the fun bits to deal with, gearbox oil leak at sprocket, leak at crankcase near filter (previous repair may have been done without dismantling engine) pinging! and a fantastic headlight that seems to only highlight the gold fleck in my front guard!

For now I am happy, an oil tray deals with the leaks, daily riding deals with wet sumping and daylight only use deals with the yellow glow that is my headlight.

Now I need to find an air filter that will fit in the tiny space available with my 376 Amal, I think some serious innovation may be required. *smile*
Darren
'52 Plunger

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: '52 Flash on the road again
« Reply #1 on: 12.04. 2010 19:32 »
Great to here she's going. Oil leak, "they all do that sir". She's just marking her spot ! Does the g'box sprocket have a spiral groove that acts as an oil slinger ? It probably only leaks when on the side stand.
Pinging, retard ign a few degrees and/or richen the slide.
Lights, go 12 volt with a DVR2.
Turn west on the M4, get her out of the city. Have fun.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
Re: '52 Flash on the road again
« Reply #2 on: 13.04. 2010 02:52 »
Happy to say I only have 3 drops of oil in the tray, 1 per day... the bottom is damp of course.
And yes the box only leaks on the side stand. Bike spends most of its time on centre stand so no urgent attention required.

Am looking at maps as I type, lots of new "M"s to try except the M5, I can't hold my breath that long!.

Darren
Darren
'52 Plunger