Author Topic: Another favour - rear brake cable again..  (Read 1043 times)

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
Another favour - rear brake cable again..
« on: 21.05. 2010 14:11 »
Am now trying to help the supplier of my "too long" new pattern rear brake cable..

Could anyone with  1958-59 / early 1960 with the rear brake cable going to the top of the brake plate please measure the outer and inner length of their cables?

Just trying to see if this item would fit those models...

Thanks,

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Another favour - rear brake cable again..
« Reply #1 on: 21.05. 2010 19:44 »
Hi Adrian,

I run A10's with both types of brake cables and have found that very few suppliers can get it right when I am ordering spares even when quoting the correct part numbers.  I should have made a note of the individual lengths but like a jerk, I didn't.

Anyway, I have a spare later type (bottom pull) cable and comparing it alongside the earlier bike with the top pull I find that the earlier type cable is longer.

The earlier outer cable is longer by about 1 1/4 inches (32mm) and the earlier inner cable is longer by about 2 1/2 inches (64mm). 

This is as accurate as I can be without removing a cable and comparing them laid on a bench.

Hope this helps.

Beezageezauk. 

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.05. 2017 15:53 »
Hi Adrian,

I run A10's with both types of brake cables and have found that very few suppliers can get it right when I am ordering spares even when quoting the correct part numbers.  I should have made a note of the individual lengths but like a jerk, I didn't.

Anyway, I have a spare later type (bottom pull) cable and comparing it alongside the earlier bike with the top pull I find that the earlier type cable is longer.

The earlier outer cable is longer by about 1 1/4 inches (32mm) and the earlier inner cable is longer by about 2 1/2 inches (64mm). 

This is as accurate as I can be without removing a cable and comparing them laid on a bench.

Hope this helps.

Beezageezauk.
Sorry to drag up this old thread but my rear cable is too long.
I have the TOP PULL brake.
How do I go about ordering the shorter cable ?
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

beezermacc

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.05. 2017 16:52 »
Roy

BSA listed 2 different cables for the top pull because the lever was modified in about June 1958. Photos from BSA publication showthe part numbers.

Unfortunately they did not list the lengths.

Some sellers offer the same cable as suitable for top and bottom pull which is clearly not correct.

The problems are too long you get a very spongy brake, too long inner you run out of adjustment, and of course how well it fits is also effected by the position of the left foot rest on which the brake lever rests.

I got fed up with the available cables years back and make my own.

There are a number of people who offer custom made cables, worth an internet search if the usual sources cannot supply what you want.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 25.05. 2017 17:57 »
Thank you Julian.
I think mine would be the late 1958 model as it was registered Nov 1958.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.05. 2017 18:02 »
Have a look here...

https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/cables

Thanks, I'll give Andrew a call in the morning and see what he can come up with.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK