Author Topic: Report from the warzone...  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Report from the warzone...
« on: 13.06. 2010 00:00 »
Fine activity here, thanks to all who contribute. I personally find the forum size just perfect for it's purpose, and apart from the very few skirmishes it's been rolling along nicely (making everybody happy all the time is just impossible, settling for trying to keep most happy most of the time). I'll come back to policy and forum etiquette in another post, after a conference with the 'board of elders'  *smile*

Running a forum means 2 things, getting members + avoiding getting members. We could have 10.000's of (unwanted) members, and 100.000's of (unwanted) posts. Spammers, hackers, botnets and other nuisances finds forums so attractive they'll do anything to get a foot in the door, or even hack\destroy it as some kind of sport. Looking trough logs, ban hits and statistics, I'll roughly estimate the number of attempted spamposting (and\or spammer registrations) to add up to around 250.000. Starting to get used to it by now.

Anyway so far so good, apart from a few server problems, things have been going well here. The move to www.a7a10.net is not scheduled, am slowly planning how to do it.

Current htaccess ip bans is in the millions + many more in the internal forum ban system, to keep out the most bothersome trash from China, Russia, Ukraine etc, where there must be 10.000' of BSA's in existence ):

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Report from the warzone...
« Reply #1 on: 13.06. 2010 02:25 »
Good one e,
                    Top job,Top bloke.
 If you were down hear I'd pat you on the back and buy you a beer or ten.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Report from the warzone...
« Reply #2 on: 13.06. 2010 12:51 »
Thanks, and hoping most members & visitors are satisfied with the resources available here.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"