Author Topic: Browsing the forum using a mobile device  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Browsing the forum using a mobile device
« on: 20.06. 2010 16:20 »
Here are the possibilities for fast loading on any mobile device.
Pictures are omitted, so bandwidth consumption is extremely low.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/?wap
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/?wap2
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/?imode
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Browsing the forum using a mobile device
« Reply #1 on: 05.08. 2012 15:00 »
manosound wrote
Speaking of phones, it would be great if the forum recognized mobile use, so that thumb typing was less a pain, as the text box jumps off-screen about 15 characters from each end.

Have tried browsing\posting using different phones with different browsers, never encountered that problem. Maybe try Opera (Apple\Android) or Firefox (Android). & the alternatives listed in the post above works well as a simple means of reading and posting.

There will be no functional updates to the actual software version used for the forum, am slowly moving on to testing a new software (which may have different mobile support) + new domain\server, but lots of work & time needed (and as it is now it all behaves much better that ever anticipated) so still some time away.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.08. 2012 15:24 »
After wrting about mobile use, I looked up what was going on in terms of mobile identification with Simple Machines. It's out there, but I could tell it would be a lot of work, what with developing a special mobile theme. So, not wanting to suggest any more work for you (and it's not in my expertise), I didn't bother suggesting it. I'll try your other recommendations, but hate to lose the photos, without which, so many stories would be lost.

Richard L.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 05.08. 2012 15:27 »
Tried Opera ? It's good

Regarding forum themes there are some 100's of possibilities available, some may work better on mobile (but never guaranteed on all os \ phones), but using themes one may run into strange problems, may cure one glitch but produce some new ones in other areas, so am sticking to the default theme here, which makes it much safer for stability, configurations, backups and general maintenance.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.08. 2012 16:16 »
Well, this is being thumb-typed using Opera as the browser. I have already discovered that I don't have the problem with the text box jumping around. That's the good news. Thte bad news is that, once in the text box, you can't reference other posts in the string or use the formatting tools. I guess there is a price for everything.

Richard L.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #5 on: 05.08. 2012 16:38 »
I have no problem reading or writing this from an iphone 4s browsing with safari. 😃👍

Edit from Laptop: The two square boxes are icons that did not work.  *sad2*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.08. 2012 16:40 »
HE BREECHES! But ship your harpoons, mates.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 05.08. 2012 19:22 »
Out of curiosity, LJ, what did you try to post that turned into 😃👍 ? Some phone\os-specific image, 'emoticon', or special character?

Some possible explanation http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100512120030AAPb6EH
Example: using some language fonts that the forum is not configured to display, results in things like this:



⬆⬇⬅➡↗↖↘↙◀▶⏪⏩🆗🆕🔝🆙🆒🎦🈁📶🈵🈳🉐🈹🈯🈺🈶🈚🈷🈸🈂🚻🚹🚺🚼🚭🅿♿🚇🚾㊙㊗

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 05.08. 2012 21:45 »


⬆⬇⬅➡↗↖↘↙◀▶⏪⏩🆗🆕🔝🆙🆒🎦🈁📶🈵🈳🉐🈹🈯🈺🈶🈚🈷🈸🈂🚻🚹🚺🚼🚭🅿♿🚇🚾㊙㊗

I have never been so insulted in my life, how dare you sir  *fight*  and where did you learn Kligon
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 05.08. 2012 22:16 »
 *smile*

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #10 on: 06.08. 2012 10:02 »
Hi, the boxes replace emoticons that are on my phone. Probably because it is an iphone and being part of Applemac this is why the emoticons are not seen on standard laptop and desktop computers. It would be interesting if anyone who uses a mac could say if the emoticons are seen or not.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 06.08. 2012 11:37 »
I'm on a 6yr old Macbook, and see too many e-mightycons, so best I just '.. pull my harpoon out of my dirty red bandana....' and stay deep, right out of this, save to say I did a bit of posting in may/june in down-time on a job on my nokia...but I spose they are scandinavian, may help??

Cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 06.08. 2012 13:09 »
Thanks for the info, LJ, excludes any problems from the forum side, character set up is stock US\UK\Western European (& windows unicode) and apple emoticons are (thankfully) not standard part of that.

BTW, much funny stuff available in unicode: ۺ ۞ ₦ ₱ ῴ ᵯ ᵿ ᵺ ۻ Ѭ Ϡ Ӂ ☼ ₲  *smile*

edit: looking at the above line on a XP pc, I get some square boxes, and in bsa- bill's quote there were changes from the original, so operating sytems creates differences as well as mobiles.

Morale? for universal compatibility, stick to using standard English alphabet on any English speaking (writing) site.