Author Topic: "Head Steady"  (Read 7368 times)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: "Head Steady"
« Reply #15 on: 16.07. 2010 23:42 »
Hi All
Talk about a thread hijack, *smile*

Yes, Richard L , very well put,

A10Boy, says,
"how come there are millions of engines on the original set up that don't leak from the rocker box? "

If there are I havnt seen them!!!!! neither have most of the forum by the looks of things ;)

The original is called a head "steady" not a head mounting!!
so the logic of locking the head/rockerbox in one place was not the designers intent????

The head rockerbox faces are very thin and often damaged, my head steady design will not fix these ???? ????

I have the first one I made fitted to my own SR for the last 8 years and well over 10k miles (speedo's another story *sad2*)
and there have been no issues with it, neither have there been on the other A10's I have fitted them to

"Each unto his own" But it works for me *smile* *smile*

Cheers
John O R

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 20.06. 2012 22:26 »
John,

After almost 2 years, what is the status of rockerbox leaks whilst using your bespoke head steady. This is a current topic in another thread, but I thought posting here might draw others to see your excellent design (not to mention a photo posted by Muskrat).

Richard L.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 20.06. 2012 22:41 »
Hi Richard
No problems here (except for the state of the country  *sad2* *sad2*)
Head steadies are working fine  *smile*

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 21.06. 2012 01:30 »
 I've read bits of posts about this issue and may have missed some, but the 'head steady' on the plungers bolts on under the front R/box bolts actually 'in' the head (I've alloy head so could be wrong?), whereas the after '55(?) bolt on top of the Rocker box.
      I would think that would produce differing types of support, the later idea would allow the joint between the box and head to 'slip' laterally with vibration, would it not, whereas the early ones would hold the whole show??

Just a thought, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #19 on: 21.06. 2012 04:18 »
Seems to be a bit of difference in opinion here but I say good on you John for trying something different. I've tried lots of different things (improvements?) over the years and some work and some dont. You dont know until you  try.

I agree that your mod will loose a slight amount of rigidity but I cant see it being enough to affect anything.

One small thing that probably needs clearing up is the head steady does not bolt to the rocker box. It is held by the four bolts that go through the rocker box, you could say the rocker box is "through bolted". Those four bolts thread into the head, not the rocker box.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 21.06. 2012 07:35 »

Sorry slight oversight on my part, and I guess they(through-bolts) should be reasonably 'snug-ish?', I hadn't put a lot of thought in to it, was thinking more of the principle at at the time.
 cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 22.10. 2014 23:55 »
I always admired John's idea for an improved head steady and finally got around to making one myself according to John's design. $5.00 in materials (with a lot of left-over steel strap) and a bit of labor and it was done. Even though my father was a refrigeration contractor and pipe-fitter, I never became a good welder, in fact, right now I'd say I'm a lousy welder using a lousy welder ("it's a poor workman who blames his tools"). No way was I going to let you guys see this thing before a lot a grinding followed by painting, and still its rough, but it's installed and fits well. In the picture it's sitting on a piece of the rubber gasket material I used to make the bush. It was a bit too thick, so thinned it down using an orbital sander. Not having a lathe, I bought the center tube from the local hardware store, really, about the perfect size, except I wanted a closer fit around the bolt, so I lined the sleeve with some shim material.

I am going to name this personal bodge "The CJ Special" (for Chaterlea John). I know it's not up to his quality of craft, but it takes all kinds.

Richard L. 

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #22 on: 23.10. 2014 01:09 »
Well done Richard. We're on par when it comes to welding, put two sticks worth on then grind one off. *work*
Let us know if you notice any difference in the vibes and rocker box leaks.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline denis

• Moving Up
« Reply #23 on: 23.10. 2014 08:52 »
Hi all,

Good work Chaterlea! it looks neat.
Head steadies on my rigid frame are from the front of the cylinder to the frame between the exhausts, so they are more like cylinders steadies really, and I'm not sure these little flat ended tubes would steady much,  *conf*
I don't have anything on the top, should I?

Cool pic Muskrat!  ...My wife won't come anywhere near the shed, i don't understand; money pits should get along well  *whistle*, i don't understand how these cameramen manage!

Cheers, Denis 

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #24 on: 23.10. 2014 09:34 »
G'day denis. Both the rigid and plungers are done that way and I find they leak LESS from the r/box.
I think the s/a steady is to ward against fore and aft movement produced by the thrust forces of the piston and un-balance of the crank at mid stroke.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #25 on: 23.10. 2014 10:31 »
Hi Denis, I once started one of my previous "A"s without the head steady fitted ,I didn't/couldn't run it for long the motor moved in a terrifying manner ,thought it was going to rip itself out of the frame so they do work, honest ,BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 23.10. 2014 21:59 »
Hi All,
I am going to name this personal bodge "The CJ Special" (for Chaterlea John).

LOL  *smile* *smile*
I await the results and the "royalty" check in the post   *smile* *smile*

Seriously Richard I hope it works for your bike

I used to be able to weld quite well when I was younger, I dont know if its failing eyesight or issues with hand eye coordination that is a result  of headbutting the tarmac off my Morini   *conf*
But now it takes a lot of concentration to get the weld in the correct place not a 1/4 inch away from where it should be  *????* *????* *????*

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #27 on: 24.10. 2014 07:49 »
Royalty cheque?  Well, I was thinking I would try it too!

As for the welding, I think in my case it's practice, practice, practice.  No substitute for 'keeping one's hand in'.  I find something similar with spraying, too.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 24.10. 2014 10:23 »

well I don't wish to turn this into a welding thread, but I've found the value in 'Auto- Darkening' helmets- yes plural, don't leave it out in the rain, not something that happens often round here, but can catch one out if not prepared *eek*

The other thing about welding, I hate it when the splatters get between my toes on the best run i'm doing all day..... *ex* *ex*
 Yes, I've been doing some lately *smile*
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #29 on: 24.10. 2014 11:11 »
Well done Richard. We're on par when it comes to welding, put two sticks worth on then grind one off. *work*
Let us know if you notice any difference in the vibes and rocker box leaks.
Cheers

You really need to start with Oxy so you learn to master the puddle.
One you have done that then you have a good feel for how molten metal flows and will find stick welding a lot easier.
Bike Beesa
Trevor