Author Topic: Flash hits the road!  (Read 1513 times)

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Flash hits the road!
« on: 10.08. 2010 15:43 »
Just had a short spin on the A10 after fitting new exhausts*, making new control cables, replacing metric bolts (ugh!) with Cycle thread etc etc.

Pleased to report that it feels very good and runs well. The brakes seem a bit lacking after the Velo, especially the rear one (currently has a far-too-long cable fitted which is making it even more spongy than the designers intended). The bike picks up well, at least to 50mph or so, and feels as lively as the Venom although not requiring the arcane Velo ritual to start it.

The gearchange feels a little notchy but perhaps this is something to get used to?

So I'm looking forward to completing the other tidying up jobs and getting to know the bike before winter starts....

*The exhaust (siamese) and RGS-type silencer came from jrpclassics on ebay. All the items I've had from this chap have been of a high standard, fit well and have a nice finish. The exhausts and silencers are sold as being British made.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: Flash hits the road!
« Reply #1 on: 10.08. 2010 18:54 »
well done.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.08. 2010 19:05 »
Hi Ian - glad you've got it out and about.
Have the same problem with the rear brake, also the amount of travel before the (new) linings find the drum doesn't help, leaves me wondering about the cam.
How good a fit are the Siamese pipes from JRP, I gave up on mine for the time being as it looks like the short pipe would need bending before they would fit right, so I bought another silencer and had pipes for twins anyway.
However I do like the look of the thing with Siamese pipes and I too have had some nice stuff from JRPclassics

Any chance of a picture?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 11.08. 2010 16:07 »
A few pics of exhaust etc:

The only slight issue with the exhaust is that the link piece is very close to the downtube. The end that goes in the head was also slightly oval but squeezed out nicely in the vice.

So far, as I say, I've been pleased by the quality of these parts. The prop stand pivot is just a rivet but at £13 or so it seems fine to me.
Ian.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.08. 2010 16:52 »
Thanks Ian, My Siamese did end up a bit further off the down tube, but did not fit into the head as nicely as yours.
Mine is an alloy head but I can't see there should be any difference.
I had the oval problem too.
Now I'm finding a bit of an issue with the Goldie silencer on the Drive side, I either need to make brackets to hold the silencers about an inch and a half back from the pillion peg mounts or cut the ex pipes to allow the silencer to come forward that much, the complication on the drive side is the kink in the pipe and on the timing side the kickstart.

Oh well life is all about overcoming such things

All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 11.08. 2010 16:57 »
I must say one thing I hate is messing about with exhausts. Give me a nice electrical problem any day!
Ian.

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #6 on: 11.08. 2010 20:19 »
Bill. I had the same problem with twin pipes and goldies. I had to make a couple of triangular brackets to set the silencers rearwards to prevent clamping up on the kink in the drive side pipe and took the opportunity to upsweep the silencers slightly. Also had to cut a bit off the pipes as the Britura silencers had some weld on the inside to hold the baffles which prevented the silencer sliding on far enough.

Jim

1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.08. 2010 21:10 »
Jim many thanks you've helped me crack this one I reckon.
Yes I found out about the bit of braze, needs to be there to keep the baffles in so dare not grind it off,
I had a spare set of mudguard brackets ( fasten to the upper suspension bolt and the mudguard stays) two of the holes are just the right distance apart but I needed to find a way to stop it pivoting, thought about drilling one more hole in the silencer to stiffen it up, not secure as wanted though, however I see you've gone for two holes, looks better and will be more secure so tomorrows task is already planed.

Great sound comes out of those Britura silencers though
All the best - Bill

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #8 on: 12.08. 2010 01:43 »
Seems like these siamese systems are a pain in the A when it comes to fitting.

All my bikes have Armours systems and other than a small bend of a bracket occasionally they have all fitted well. That was until I bought a siamese system for a plunger A10, it wasnt even close. The curve from the head on the r/h side was too sharp, I wrapped it in felt and carefully managed to bend it enough without damaging the chrome. Next it wouldnt go under the footpeg so I put it in the press and bent the pipe enough to go under the peg, this did mark it but its under the footpeg so not visible. The l'h side did fit but I am going to have to file out a cooling ring as it doesnt sit square to the head due to the curve on the pipe.

The muffler was ok so thats one thing I suppose.

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 07.09. 2010 20:16 »
Thanks Ian, My Siamese did end up a bit further off the down tube, but did not fit into the head as nicely as yours.
Mine is an alloy head but I can't see there should be any difference.
I had the oval problem too.
Now I'm finding a bit of an issue with the Goldie silencer on the Drive side, I either need to make brackets to hold the silencers about an inch and a half back from the pillion peg mounts or cut the ex pipes to allow the silencer to come forward that much, the complication on the drive side is the kink in the pipe and on the timing side the kickstart.

Oh well life is all about overcoming such things

Bill I no longer own a BSA but during the rebuild of my last one I tried both siamese and standard twin and eventualy finished with swept backs but every set had to be shortened in length and I remember back in the day they swapped and changed for after market pipes and they all had to be cut to length which I am sure was because of the many different silencers available some short and some long and also if fitting twin goldies they would have to be after market as the gold star was a single I am sure no twin ever left the factory with them fitted single sided siamese or twin  Chris

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.09. 2010 21:32 »
Cheers Chris - I've got the pipes on, had to make a couple of brackets but no problem, now if I could just get it to breathe fire  *sad2*
All the best - Bill