Author Topic: Oil feed/return connection problem - A7 plunger circa 1954  (Read 7415 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
RoadRunner,

For someone claiming limited knowledge, it sure looks from the photos like you know quite well what you're doing. I think the term I want to use for the photos is "deep". You look deep into them and everything you see looks great. I wouldn't say the same for my own.

Richard L.

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Thanks Richard,
I find it enjoyable & easy to get the look I want but its only taken 20yrs +; I think the fun may arise when I try to get it running judging by recent threads  ;) which I remain slightly nervous of! I had the engine re-built due my lack of engineering prowess, tools, time and not wanting to getting it wrong (but yet to prove it works!). However, I'm getting more encouraged and knowledgeable through the forum (a big thanks) and amazed at members determination & patience resolving issues which I hope I don't encounter too soon. 
Cheers
RoadRunner 

Offline Michmjf

• New
Hi, I am Belgian and I purchased my BSA A7 plunger model 1953 last year from England. Three months ago I decided to restore some parts of the engine.
I renewed all gaskets and washers without putting any jointing compound. I also replaced the 2 old pistons/rings with 2 new ones.
I completed this work one week ago. I started the engine which was very well running but I got 2 leaks : a small leak at the outer primary chain cover and a strong one at the oil pipe union (feed/return oil from oil tank) connection at the crankcase. The part number of the oil pipe union with 2 copper pipes is : 67-1461. The washer is new but I didn't put any compound... that's may be the reason ???
Regarding the leak at the primary chain outer cover I didn't put any joint washer but only some compound (HYLOMAR).
Please can any one help me ? Many thanks for that.

BSA A7 frame 1950 engine 1954

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Michmjf,  *welcome*
Do you have the locating bush 67-1463 ? A little Hylomar on the gasket may help. Are you sure the pipes are not leaking from the union ?
Cheers.

Now get over to Intros and give us your story. https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=13.0
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
 Also worth checking that the bush is not holding the pipe union away from the crankcase. If a new part, the locating hole may be too tight for the bush, (common on newly plated parts). If an old part  it may have previous jointing compound blocking full entry of the bush. The bush may also be too long or not fully seated into the crankcase. The retaining bolt needs a washer and must not bottom in the blind hole, so also check this blind hole for old jointing compound. If the bolt tightens down fully with no gasket in place you can be sure the union will seal against the crankcase with a gasket and a smear of Hylomar.

My parts book for 1949/1953 (Printed November 1953) shows the bush in the exploded view, but it is not listed on Page 15. Later parts book (1954/57) amends this omission.

Chaincase joint width is very narrow, and for a good oil tight seal you need a gasket. Check all the bolt holes for old jointing compacted at the bottom, holding the bolts off the cover. Bad examples require Silicone on the gasket to effect a seal, and as usual check for damaged faces and hairline cracks in the castings. Another source of leaks is the chain slipper adjuster thread. This can be sealed with Loctite but makes the easy primary chain adjustment a little more difficult.

It will be good to hear your story.

Swarfy.

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
Hi Michmjf,
I had a leak from the primary chain cover caused by my omission of the fibre washers on the drain and level screws. Putting the correct washers and a dab of Hylomar on the thread cured it.
Adrian.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel