Author Topic: Rocker cover breather  (Read 2675 times)

Offline old53

• Moving Up
  • Saphire Coast NSW Australia
Rocker cover breather
« on: 06.09. 2010 04:36 »
My  A10  has been fitted with an additional breather from the rocker cover  with a hose going  down behind the gearbox. I have a spare cover and wonder if there is any advantage in refitting the modified cover. Has any body had issues with crankcase ventilation?  *smile*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rocker cover breather
« Reply #1 on: 06.09. 2010 09:25 »
never have needed this mod, my opinion is that if you need this you need to look elsewhere but that is my opinion many others will disagree.
Might be that the way you use the bike has a bearing on this, folk that like to twist a tail could have a point
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline The General

• Southern Michigan USA
  • Moving Up
  • Yellow Jacket Beeza
« Reply #2 on: 06.09. 2010 09:44 »
I've been curious about that myself.
My 62 Super Rocket has a threaded hole with a breather hose in the center of the cap.
Original equipment.
Maybe it was for export models to the States?
Your picture appears to be a mod though.
1962 Super Rocket

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 06.09. 2010 20:33 »
G'day Carey,
                    An old mod people used to try to eliminate rockerbox oil leaks. When done it negates the timed breather. If you use it I would suggest you look into the Bunn breather kit (about $70AU). I have it fitted to mine and am very pleased.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.09. 2010 21:06 »
Don't think it was ever original equipment General but could be wrong
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline old53

• Moving Up
  • Saphire Coast NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: 11.10. 2010 12:20 »
Can anyone give me  a clue as (or description) of how the timed breather actually works? I have been looking in the tech notes and have not had any success, maybe my lack of computer skills. 

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.10. 2010 14:26 »
Back when my engine was completely disassembled, as a mockup, I placed the timing gears on a table with the breather in place and the position of the breather port marked on the table. That's been a while and I should should have kept better records, but, as I recall, the hole in the rotating breather passes the breather port at 90 degrees AFTDC. By this, I have assumed that the breather is not intented to change the pressure in the crankcase. My take on it is that the breather is only intended to keep the crakcase somewhere around normal atmospheric pressure so that oil can be pumped in and sucked out. If you open a full-time vent, it is always pulsating, to what negative affect, I wouldn't know. However, I assume Mr. Hopwood had an opinion on it or BSA would not have gone to such lengths (no pun intended) to duct the breather out behind the timing cover.

Looking forward to the fifteen corrections to my theory, upcoming.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.10. 2010 14:45 »
Two more things. I should note that my engine is S/A type. Second, I wonder if the timing of the breather is not,indeed, such as to create a slight positive pressure in the crankcase in order to assure a dry sump and explaining why oil return is faster than oil supply. After all, can anyone explain this phenomenon according to the design of the pump? I can't understand it. This theory would opt against a continuous breather.

To the extent I may be taking the common knowledge of others as revelation to me, I apologize in embarrassment and look forward the corrections. Until then I'll basque in in the simple logic of my own thoughts.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 11.10. 2010 15:54 »
Richard,
the gears of the return oil pump are wider than those of the feed side, hence they offer a higher flow rate for the return.
It's as easy as that.  ;)
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 11.10. 2010 22:14 »
I could be wrong also, but my A10 has one fitted to it and i believe that it was standard on the super roccket.

Cheers,

Dave.
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 12.10. 2010 10:56 »
Can anyone give me  a clue as (or description) of how the timed breather actually works? I have been looking in the tech notes and have not had any success, maybe my lack of computer skills. 

I'm as puzzled as you - I've never found a description and have looked everywhere I can think of. Mine loses a bit of oil through the breather at highish (say 4,000rpm+) engine speeds which is annoying as it then drips when I stop, leading to rude comments from ignorant modern bike riders (having rebuilt the top end of the engine it doesn't leak from anywhere else).

Oil return to the tank on mine is excellent and there's little oil in the crankcase so it's not wet-sumping.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 12.10. 2010 22:02 »
Definitely not a standard fitment on any A10/7.
Trev.