Author Topic: Sludge Trap  (Read 2143 times)

Offline old PJ

• Moving Up
Sludge Trap
« on: 27.10. 2007 20:12 »
Hi all i have been doing the sludge trap on my A10 today and its amazing how much grey sludge was in there almost solid and as i was doing my A10  I had a spare A7 crank to do and it seems to have a much smaller trap hole than the A10 and the plug threads are smaller is this correct as the A7 crank came of an autojumble and i can only go by what the seller told me. At the monent it seems to look correct ,
Hope the pictures give some idear as to how importent it is to clean the sludge trap out.

PJ

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Sludge Trap
« Reply #1 on: 27.10. 2007 20:41 »
Had you ever done it before? I  don't know how often they need doing. I would guess that sludge formation is less using modern oils so you can perhaps do it less often. Having said that, my first bike, a Honda SS50 moped, had a sludge trap in the clutch and that got well packed with hard material in the first 6000 miles from new. That was in 1976 using Hondas own brand of 10/40 oil.

Offline old PJ

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 27.10. 2007 21:17 »
Hi this A10 crank had only done 12,000 miles on modern oil and it had been cleaned out before use and it closed of the left hand side oil hole to the con rod which caused engine damage after the 12,000 miles the con rod had split up the middle , I still cant make out why so much sludge was in the crank after so few miles,

Paul.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.10. 2007 09:10 »
Possible I suppose the modern oil cleaned your engine up a bit, dislodging and dissolving previously stationary crud and lots of it spun out in the trap.
Another reason to fit a filter

All the best - Bill ( presently in sheds, garden and garage tidying mode - where does it aall come from?)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline old PJ

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 28.10. 2007 10:56 »
Hi Bill I had a small shed for fettling me bikes in and this year i purchased a big wooden workshop and i am all ready pushing me self out the door with bike stuff still its good to have a workshop for fettling the A10 I might get a bike work table next so i can work more easy on the old girl,

Old PJ