Author Topic: Getting an Age Related Plate in the UK  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Best Friend
    • Flash Resto
Getting an Age Related Plate in the UK
« on: 19.09. 2010 12:04 »
Can anyone tell me what the sequence of this is in the UK. I have not been able to trace the original number. There was a faint outline of a number in the paint on the number board but this registration is now on a Volvo 440. I assume that the number was transfered therefore or this is a spare picked up at jumble and the original number is lost.

Anyway I need an age related plate. Do I need an MOT first and can this be done without a registration number? I have the forms V55/5 and V765, these seem to be for Tax but I will need an MOT before Tax Disk, I was assuming I would need the number first then I could get a number plate and book an MOT and ride it down. I already have an owners club dating certificate.

Has anyone done this before, any advice welcome.

Cheer Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Getting an Age Related Plate in the UK
« Reply #1 on: 19.09. 2010 14:06 »
Hi Stu,

The following was taken from the original BSAOC Website and I believe that the same information applies now.  It is titled "Registering a Bike" then "When to use a Machine Dating Certificate".

A)  If your vehicle does not have a registration number:-

1.  Obtain proof of the year of manufacture of the vehicle from a club or organisation relevant to the make, model or type of vehicle. (Dating Certificate).  This you have done.

2.  Arrange MOT Test Certificate and Insurance cover.  This can be done using the frame number.

3.  Contact your nearest VRO and explain what you need to do.  They may wish to inspect the vehicle, but in any event they will tell you how to proceed.

4.  Complete the V55/5 application form and submit to your nearest VRO together with your dating certificate, Test Certificate, Insurance Documents and appropriate licence fee.

5.  If the VRO is satisfied with the application they will issue an appropriate age related registration number.  N.B. Non-suffix numbers are issued non-transferably.  The Vehicle Excise Disc will be issued straight away and the registration document should follow within six weeks.

If you want more detail go to www.bsaownersclub.co.uk and click on "Dating and Registration".

Hope this helps.

Beezageezauk.

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Best Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #2 on: 19.09. 2010 14:26 »
Thanks Beezageezauk
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline trickytree

• A's Best Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #3 on: 19.09. 2010 14:34 »
Stu, I assume the bike was last registered in the UK, if so this makes life simpler as you dont need to obtain proof that VAT has been paid if it was an import.

Also are you close to a DVLA center? If so I would pop in and have a word, I found them very helpfull but differant people did give me differing advice. Try, if possible, to deal with the same person.

Insure the bike via the frame number. Ask if there is a time limit on this....they will issue you a cover note but some insurers (Im with Bennetts) wont give more than one months cover on a frame number...this caused me no end of hassle.

Pre book your MOT and you can ride the bike to the testing station.

Take your V55/5, insurance cert, MOT, dating cert (I also needed proof of ID as my bike had an imported frame, check if you need this, I'm pretty certain you do) to the DVLA office. You will need £55 for the registration, road tax will be free). They will then arrange a date for inspection. This is not any sort of "MOT" test, just to confirm the bike is what it says it is on the paperwork. I have heard that some centers dont do this inspection, in which case your in luck and will get all your relevant paperwork there and then. This is why I would have a word with them first and try and deal with the same person. Getting in touch with a local office isnt easy...there are no direct numbers or email addresses, you have to ring up Swansea and arrange for the local office to contact you.

1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Online lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #4 on: 20.09. 2010 15:43 »
Stu.
I am with Footman James and they will only give one month cover on a frame number.
I have just been through getting a reg no for my SR. I checked with DVLA and it is illegal to drive the bike to the MOT station (pre booked or not) unless you are dispalying a numberplate - it is also illegal to drive it to the DVLA office if they ask to inspect it. I hired a van on both occasions.
When your new number is issued you will get a certificate authorising new plates to be made which you will have to send to the plate makers - they will not make them without it.

Jim

1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)