Author Topic: Ebay  (Read 975 times)

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Ebay
« on: 27.11. 2010 14:24 »
I have just idled away a bit of time trawling through the BSA spares section on Ebay. It was interesting to see how many parts that are listed as Gold Star, or RGS when even to the most casual observer clearly these items are not even remotely anything to do with either Gold Stars or RGS. One item (a petrol tank for an Ambassador) was listed as Ambassador, A10, A7, RGS, Gold Star. A Smiths magnetic speedo was listed as 120 mph chronometric speedo, RGS, Super Rocket. There was a standard A10 pear drop badged petrol tank listed as RGS, and of course all kinds of other stuff like handle bars, and goodness knows what else. There have always been chancers that have shamelessly attached the Gold star and RGS label to all kinds of irrelevant tat, but it now seems to be the norm. Did I mention all the other stuff listed that was not even BSA? Yamaha, and Harley Davidson for instance. How many of those did BSA manufacture? Do these people actually believe that potential customers are so easily taken in and mislead by such untruthful and dishonest trading methods?

John

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Ebay
« Reply #1 on: 27.11. 2010 14:44 »
Do these people actually believe that potential customers are so easily taken in and mislead by such untruthful and dishonest trading methods?

That will be a yes, and no wonder with gear boxes listed at £1,800 , ( item 190472407979 listed by slippery_saveloy )
Admittedly close ratio but not original RTT2

Often thought about sending sellers a message   *computer* asking for a discount due to me only having a bog standard A10  >:D

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.12. 2010 17:56 »
Well only just over an hour left folks if you want to get your hands on the above item, funnily enough nobody seems to have bid yet.
What really amuses me is the postage, £15 economy delivery for an item he hopes to get £1800 at least for

Just occurred to me, I do hope Mr slippery_saveloy   is not a forum member *red*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 06.12. 2010 13:34 »
Hi Guys
         The funny thing about EBay is most of the Super Flash bits I have found were miss labelled as other item titles.  The oil tank was listed as a ALS.  I use to have a love/hate relationship with EBay.  Ever since I have been collecting bits for the SF it has been good.  I has amazed me the global scope of finding bits.   Love it or hate it Ebay has really opened up the old bike market place.  But buyer beware.  I have always had good luck.  Jeff

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 07.12. 2010 16:42 »
One thing about E bay it,s a good source of entertainment. There is an A 10 on at the moment item No 200549128295, the guy says it was running a couple of weeks ago, but he wanted to see what type of crank it had, so he took it to bits and now he can,t be bothered to put it back together again. Can you imagine sitting watching tv and suddenly thinking, I wonder what crank I have, I'll just pop in the garage and strip it down............... Amazing.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 07.12. 2010 17:47 »
Hi Goldie

That is a funny listing.  I think it would have been better if he didn't say anything.  Hes certainly asking a premium price for it.  Jeff