Author Topic: wiring diagam for RGS?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
wiring diagam for RGS?
« on: 23.01. 2011 13:54 »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.  I'm getting towards the end of the restoration of my RGS which I dismantled in 1996.  I made quite a few notes at the time and I took care to keep things like the original cables and the wiring loom, but I have hit a problem and I would very much welcome advice.

I have the main backbone of the old wiring loom including the five pin plug and socket that fits into the back of the headlamp.  The loom had been hacked into only a little by the bike?s previous owner.  Unfortunately one critical part of the loom that I can't find is the cable running up to the Tricon switch which operates the dip/main beam, the horn and the ignition cut out and I can't see how that wiring integrates with the loom that I have.

A few years ago at the spring Stafford show there was a stand run by a Rocket Gold Star club and I purchased a hand-drawn diagram of the Rocket Gold Star wiring loom from someone at the stand (by the way, has that club disappeared now?).  I attach this diagram as a scanned file.  It is incomplete, it does not show the wiring to the Tricon switch, it seems to have lost information round its margins and it looks as though it was photocopied from something that had dimensions on it but the dimensions didn't photocopy.

Basically, what?s on the diagram is just about intelligible (and it looks reasonable as far as it goes) but it gives no suggestion as to how the wiring for the Tricon switch is connected in.

I'd be very grateful if someone could throw any light on RGS wiring, especially about how the Tricon switch wiring is incorporated.  I'm really asking because I would like to build something close to the original.  I hope this all makes sense and I'll be very grateful for any help.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: wiring diagam for RGS?
« Reply #1 on: 23.01. 2011 14:32 »
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 23.01. 2011 17:01 »
Think *idea* I am right in saying that the RGS club was and still is an integral part of the Gold Star Owners' Club *smile*
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 23.01. 2011 21:27 »
Thanks bsa- bill for the pointer to the diagram, very helpful.  (Isn?t it marvellous what?s on the Internet if you just know where to look!)  All the colours match the loom that I have, including the part inside the headlamp. 

From looking at it, and because it?s a schematic, it?s not easy to work out whether the lead to the Tricon switch came out of the headlamp or out of the main backbone of the wiring loom. 

From the diagram, I?d lean towards it coming out of the headlamp, i.e. it being on the headlamp side of the 5 pin switch.  This would imply to me that there would have to be an additional bunch of connectors to separate the headlamp from the handlebar wiring.  Would there be a RGS owner who could say how BSA actually did it? 

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.01. 2011 21:37 »
I think all the Tricon switches I've seen had leads on them, so presumably connected into a loom somewhere.
I've been down this road JJ, my project is wired up similar to RGS  but with indicators thrown in, everything works (now) but not awfully neat as I replaced the bullet connectors with Spade types which take up a bit more room ( sorry I ever doubted you Joe) I reckon the smaller type spade would work better ( Job for the future)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 23.01. 2011 22:59 »
I do have an original loom still in it's Lucas bag somewhere would a photo of it help ?

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 23.01. 2011 23:36 »
Looks like a sheathed sleeve containing wires for instruments and also horn/cut out next to the h/light plug.if the h/light is qd it's unlikely wires would run back to permanent switches.

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 24.01. 2011 00:07 »
Hi Taffy, a photo of an original would be of enormous help to me (the saying about 1,000 words comes to mind).  If you could do that I'd be very grateful,
JJ