Author Topic: E3L Dynamo conversion to 12volt failed  (Read 7220 times)

Offline HondaPete

• Active
Re: E3L Dynamo conversion to 12volt failed
« Reply #15 on: 20.03. 2011 21:00 »
Many thanks Trev, I know what I will be doing this coming week
Peter

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 20.03. 2011 21:39 »
It won't take a week, Peter.
You should be able to wind it in less than an hour and the soldering maybe 1-2 hours, string band - 5 minutes, test - 5 minutes.
Dip in varnish and cook for an hour or so, let it cool and test again and back into the generator!
I can take a stripped and cleaned armature with slot insulation pre-cut and have it ready to go in about 4 hours if I am in a hurry.
But I am an Aussie so enough said.

Trev.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 20.03. 2011 22:33 »
Trev,

Been following this thread and you've truly given the master class in dynamo coil winding. I was wondering about a few things:

1. You say to dip the armature in varnish and cook it. I know that, sometimes, when varnishing coils is called for, it occurs in a vacuum to be sure the varnish permeates. I believe this is to secure the all the internal windings. I bet most guys here could come up with a jury-rigged tank they could attach their vacuum cleaner to. Do you thin this is needed?

2. Is it a case of "varnish is varnish," or is there some special type that should be used?

3. What temperature should be used for cooking the armature?

4. What vacation spot should the wife be sent to so that the armature can be cooked in the house?

Richard L.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 21.03. 2011 06:08 »
Richard,
                 1.I don't believe that dynamo armatures need to be vacuum impregnated with varnish, in fact, I had never heard of such a thing in my apprentice days.
The bloke that I know who is rewinding magnetos does, however, vacuum varnish his armatures. Probably a good idea as magy windings are much more tightly packed than dynamo ones.
I dip the armature in the varnish until the air bubbles stop and then do the cooking.
                  2. The varnish is a special insulating product. I am using the last known tin of Hymeg that I know of.
I also have Isopron [clear] which the manufacturers say is an air drying type and should not be baked but I bake it anyhow with no problems.
                  3. The temperature required is 135F.
                  4. There is no place on earth to which you could send your wife while you cook an armature in the house! Divorce is the best option. This also applies to crankcases, bearings etc but the varnish is worse.
I have an old stove in the shed which is used for all of these tasks but every time the oven is heated all that can be smelt is varnish.
My wife won't enter the shed while ever the oven is heating. Maybe this is a good thing but I make sure that the oven is cold come beer o'clock!

Trev.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 21.03. 2011 20:24 »
Peter,
              A few pictures of armatures.
1. Progressive wound on the left with balance wound, right.
2. Balance wound.
3. Balance wound.
4. Progressive wound.
5. Balance wound.

Trev.

Offline HondaPete

• Active
« Reply #20 on: 22.03. 2011 18:25 »
Hi Trev

It seems this thread has created some interest, I have wound the armature at work in between jobs and am ready to solder and test.
You are obviously expert at this and the pics are great, if you were nearer I would have dropped it on your doorstep  *smile*
Many thanks for the help and advice
By the way I have done a couple of mags and that is a nightmare.

Peter

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 23.03. 2011 21:00 »
Good on ya, Peter.
                              Did you make a new field coil while you were at it?
How do you test? I "drop" test and megger to ensure that I haven't got the dreaded earth on a coil.
The badly burnt armatures usually have the end insulation beyond saving so I use longer slot insulation with slivers of thicker paper between slots.
This is not always successful as I have been known to have failures.
You are a brave man rewinding magneto armatures!
It is not too difficult if you have the right equipment, which I haven't.
Let us know how it all went.

Trev.

Offline HondaPete

• Active
« Reply #22 on: 24.03. 2011 18:54 »
Hi Trev
I reassembled the dynamo last night and it motors fine now, I ran it up in my lathe, which is too slow really, and it has output. I have not rewound the field coil yet so that is the next thing to do and then test properly. I bound the windings and varnished it today now I know that it works.
Yes I meggar the windings I also have a "Growler" I expect you know what that is, for testing for shorted turns. Dad had it in his shed for about 50 years so its mine now.

Again thanks for the help.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 24.03. 2011 20:08 »
G'day Peter,
                       Thing's are looking up!
You will get better output results if you make an adapter for a socket and drive the generator with a drill.
I have a pistol drill which supposedly runs at 2500 rpm variable.
I load test generators after completion by connecting a regulator and battery with a headlight.
This saves fitting to a bike and having to remove it again if it doesn't come up to scratch.
I haven't used a growler since my tech college days, in fact where I served my time didn't have one so I didn't get much experience with them.

Trev.

Offline HondaPete

• Active
« Reply #24 on: 28.03. 2011 19:20 »
Trev

I made a former and rewound the field coil today, taped it with cloth tape and formed it to shape around the pole piece and it actually fits into the yoke, so nearly there.
Peter

Offline HondaPete

• Active
« Reply #25 on: 15.05. 2011 15:52 »
Hi all,

Dynamo all finished and works a treat many thanks for all the help.
Regards Peter *smile*

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 15.05. 2011 22:22 »
That's good news, Peter.
Hopefully Yuniel will get his going as well.

Trev.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #27 on: 27.05. 2011 12:11 »
Hi all, just to say I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge shown by you guy's no currying of future favours but I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks and i'm seeing you doing things I wouldn't contemplate . Winding a dynamo ....a black art!! done in a shed? mind boggling when I wanted mine changed to 12v I asked sean hawker Hawker electricals as was , to do it as i'm obviously a wimp! they did a great job bit I've got another one that is duff and i think I'm goner have a look instead of selling it to that DUNN guy for peanuts.  hope you don't mind some really daft questions as I can feel 'em coming already ,best wishes Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 27.05. 2011 16:35 »
Ah yes Bob there are some really skilled members on this forum, however a lot of us learn from them but still need to farm stuff out at times, the secret is not overstepping your abilities (too often that is)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

fump

« Reply #29 on: 19.02. 2012 19:54 »
That is all very interesting to me as I am attempting to rewind a E3N (6volt). I reckon that each loop has 18 turns and am wondering how to fit the 36 wires I think are required into the slot!

Can someone confirm that it is indeed 18 turns per loop? Looks like "mission impossible" to my untrained eyes.

Cheers
Roger