Author Topic: Let the buyer beware ??  (Read 1932 times)

Offline pato08

• A's Best Friend
  • A Work In Progress
Let the buyer beware ??
« on: 02.04. 2011 12:21 »

Hi All

Had a laught this week, I was bidding on a SRM belt drive kit (new in bag) on Ebay. I thought I might be able to save a couple of Quid.
The item  170620179880, sold for more than SRM are asking NEW (68 quid)
Let the buyer beware ?

Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Online lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Re: Let the buyer beware ??
« Reply #1 on: 02.04. 2011 13:11 »
Hi Pato

Not unusual on Ebay.

Not sure if you know but there is a new belt drive kit available from Manormike at Dynamo Regulators. It has a higher ratio than the SRM kit so you need lower engine speed for the same output. It was featured in this months Old Bike Mart.
I have just bought one to replace my V belt which is rapidly wearing out.
http://www.dynamoregulators.com/dynamo_belt_drive_kit.html

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 02.04. 2011 14:58 »
Hi Pato

Not unusual on Ebay.

Not sure if you know but there is a new belt drive kit available from Manormike at Dynamo Regulators. It has a higher ratio than the SRM kit so you need lower engine speed for the same output. It was featured in this months Old Bike Mart.
I have just bought one to replace my V belt which is rapidly wearing out.
http://www.dynamoregulators.com/dynamo_belt_drive_kit.html

Jim
Jim, their web site only says 'unit twins' but shows a photo of a 'pre-unit A7/A10' casing?
Did you speak to them about this?
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #3 on: 02.04. 2011 15:24 »
Hi Alan

Well spotted. I have just called Mike at Dynamo Regulators and there is actually an error in the description. The kit is definitely designed for pre-unit twins as shown in the pictures. Mike says he will amend the website details.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Best Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 02.04. 2011 17:32 »
Yes, thanks for calling and pointing out my error Jim.
The dynamo drive kit is of course for the pre-unit twins, not the rare dynamo equipped unit twin special. *smile*
I will get the web page and data sheet modified ASAP. It is busy season so apologies for my lack of due diligence in proof reading.
The £68 SRM price is ex. VAT, making £82 when added. Our price, that is Dynamo Regulators Ltd's is coincidentally £82 as well but includes P & P in UK (first class post) for the 15 mm wide belt and an extra 10% dynamo speed increase.

Cheers
Mike
Mike Hutchings
A10, B50, T800; 1,2,3 (& DVR2)
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline pato08

• A's Best Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #5 on: 02.04. 2011 18:41 »
I did forget to add the VAT, as I am a posted Diplomat here and don't have to pay it. Well done to the high bidder they did geta bargain afterall

Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Offline Rich

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 02.04. 2011 18:46 »
Mike,
is this the same kit that Steve was telling me about? and is the increased ratio more than SRM? and will you take a hardly used SRM one in part exchange? *smile*
Richard (from Minety)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.04. 2011 19:26 »
Does anyone know (i.e., Mike) if there any recommendations for bearing changes in the dynamo if going to 20% more RPM?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 02.04. 2011 20:24 »
I'd just like to say thanks to this forum/post subject for the info on the Dynamo Regulators Co.
Based on the FAQs on their site I need to consider their 15mm wide dynamo drive belt and also change the regulator since I'm running with a large capacity 12V battery for an electric start conversion, which I didn't fit. More info later when I get clarification from Mike
Looks like I'll be spending money their way.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 02.04. 2011 22:11 »
Has anyone done a study on the effects to the generator at these speeds?
Potentially, the engine can rev to 6000 plus rpm and standard the geny is running faster than the engine.

Trev.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 02.04. 2011 22:53 »
HI Trev and All,
I have had reservations too about over revving the dynamo   *eek*
Many (35) years ago I exploded several dynamos ( the commutators flew apart *ex*) on the vastly under powered BSA C10 I had as a teen, trying to cope with the 3 speed box and keep up with the "boys"
Currently (pun) on the SR I am running a belt drive (srm) and so far have not had any difficulties,
(apart from buggering the dyno from using a 60/55w headlamp bulb  *sad2*) the dyno was /is a 12v one!!

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 02.04. 2011 23:11 »
G'day John,
                       Your experiences with the commutators is exactly what I meant!
I have had many generators through my shed with exploded comms and collateral damage.
I have had some success with loose segments by knocking the collars tight against the dovetails but that risks damaging the insulation.
I have had a couple with the segments almost falling out, so i prised one out and filled the cavity with epoxy and forced the segment back. A bit of machining and the comm goes back into service.

I think I have hijacked this thread. Please forgive me.

Trev.

Offline Rich

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #12 on: 03.04. 2011 09:42 »
its interesting to read the posts on dynamo's as it seems that all the people that have the most trouble with the dynamo's are the 12 volt wound ones, now my opinion is that the wire used on 12volt windings is much thinner than the original 6 volt and this is the problem, I have been told on many occasions and read it on forums that good old Joseph made his 6 volt dynamos to a high standard and then under rated them and they will put out about 18 volts unregulated and will push out more than the rated watts with no ill effects.
I run my 12 volt system on a standard 6 volt dynamo and have a 65/55 watt headlamp bulb led rear lamp and a 28 watt running lamp for daytime use and with the electric start as well, which I know just relys on the battery and have so far had no problems, have had 12 volt for approx 5 years the last 3 years maybe 2 with a manor tech regulater and belt driven with about 3500 miles a year on the S/Rocket
Richard

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #13 on: 03.04. 2011 17:19 »
I agree with Richard about the dynamos that have been rewound to 12v spec. The wires are thinner, and a dynamo so wound is not as robust as a 6v one. I have used a 6v dynamo to produce 12v for ten years. First using an AO regulator, and now a DVR2 regulator. The charging characteristics do not seem to be any different to those of the 6v mode. I have used a Hawker belt drive for about three years. The battery is a cyclon  (two 6v connected to make 12) rated at 10 amp hours. I run a H4 headlamp, but have converted the rear/brake light to LED, and the speedo and rev counter are also LED illuminated. Not had any problems so far.

John

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 03.04. 2011 20:04 »
HI All,
The dyno's I exploded were 6 volt items,
I have used 6 volt ones with 12 volt regulators but with standard drive ratios, these needed driving harder to mantain charge, There were no fancy belt kits back then *sad2*
On my own SR I have been using a Podronics reg for the last 9/10 years no worries. Bob Kizer who designed the Podronics reg made different ones for either a 6v converting to 12 or a 12v wound dyno, I believe they have different field current limiting set ups
It was probably my own doing that buggered the dyno  *eek* I may have had a 20w pilot bulb going with the H4 headlamp bulb  :!

I have done some work on Vinnies that have Allton alternators fitted, on "normal" riding the alternators are not spinning fast enough to keep up the charge, if coil ignition and electric leg are fitted
No one has come uup with a faster drive for the 3 phase Alternators on the vinnies, apparently the single phase ones perform better at low revs?? buts thats an expensive experiment *eek*
A suggestion has been to use the sidecar gearing on the rear wheel so the motor is spinning faster ???? ????

Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)