Author Topic: A Good Run is what is needed!  (Read 1775 times)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
A Good Run is what is needed!
« on: 18.01. 2008 10:19 »
 *smile* Took out the Blue A10 yesterday as I had a Hospital appointment at Cambridge (Audiology, nothing serious!) It was a run of about 52 miles and covers the main A1, dreaded A14 and M11 roads. Nice ride at around 55 - 60 mph. The forcast was for rain and although I had a dry start, it was not long before I hit the mizzly drizzly fine wet stuff and bloomin cold it was too!

Got my appointment over and done and came out to find a few amirers of the old bike, always nice that is, and as it was only midday and the forcast was better for the afternoon, I thought I'd go home the long way round, visting a Ural Motorcycle and sidecar shop. No I don't want one, but I have been interested in the chunky tyres which I would like to fit to my military M21. Never found the shop but found enjoyed the long ride back home via Ely, Littleport, Denver, Downham Market and Wisbeach. A good 150 mile plus journey, the bike ran so well although a couple of minor adjustments need to be made. It is the only way to get to really *know* the bike and dust off them winter cobwebs!  *spider* (Always wanted to use that smiley!)
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: A Good Run is what is needed!
« Reply #1 on: 18.01. 2008 16:07 »
Couldn't agree more! Therapy, weekly or more often, that's what's needed, along with the confidence to take the thing moderate distances without having to attach a sidecar for all the spares and tools a pessimist might think he needed. These bikes usually get you home somehow.
It'd be interesting to know what emergency supplies we all carry? Most vital thing I carry is an inner tube, some tyre levers and a source of air. A few spanners (to get a wheel off for example or to reattach any wayward bits that fall off), plus spare clutch and throttle cables, roll of insulating tape and a fuse and a spare rear chain split link. I'm not a member of any organisation that gets me home, is why the list is longish. What do you guys all cart around? Groily
Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.01. 2008 17:35 »
Groily,

That's an interesting list. Where are you fitting all that? I have yet (after a lifetime, for some) to be able to take a truly long ride. Your point about belonging to an organization is also interesting. I think I should check with AAA (equivalent to UK AA, I think) to see if they transport motorcycles gone awry. Anyway, one thing that I took to carrying on recent short rides is a small can of starter fluid. Yes, I know it should start on the zero-eth kick, or the first, at the most, but sometimes it has different ideas (when it is actually assembled). OK, I admit it, I like to show the paint to the best, so, in addition to a few basic tools, I like to carry a soft cloth. Now I know I'm out of the club, having suggested that you might put a magneto on your food mixer, then, letting it out that I might shine up my bike when I stop somewhere. 

Richard
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2008 20:25 »
I think I should check with AAA (equivalent to UK AA, I think) to see if they transport motorcycles gone awry.

Richard, you can get AMA's MoTow coverage.  Specifically tailored toward motorcycles and not too expensive.

Cheers.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.01. 2008 00:39 »
Where do I put all that, Richard? Some in the lh toolbox, the rest in a pair of small plastic Quickly Detachable toolboxes held on home-made ironmongery on each side of the rear mudguard. Also take underwear, spare gloves, etc etc. Not very pretty, but darn useful! Also takes a quart of oil, just in case. Touch wood I've always got home. Lucky am I to have a neighbour with a van and time on his hands, but so far, so good, no need to call him . . . .  also blessed by the fact that if you do have to leave something at the side of the road or wherever, it won't be stolen out here in the French sticks . . .  However, I never do more than about 200 miles in a day, starting and ending at home, so I guess I have to say I haven't done a truly long ride either. That goes for modern bikes too.  But I reckon I could if there was a good excuse! Groily
Bill

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 19.01. 2008 02:09 »
Sometimes this spring\summer I'll be staying for a while in my humble cottage in the Alpes Maritimes, maybe an excuse for a longer trip ? Away from the Nice\Cannes\Monaco city trafic horror and motorways. There are all the small mountain and "campagne" roads with some Provence and mountain sceneries at it's best, perfect for vintage biking. see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=411.0

e

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.01. 2008 13:11 »
Now that would be a good test! Well over 1000 mile round trip . . . might have to find spots for a few more bits and pieces! Groily
Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.01. 2008 13:41 »
OK, I guess I dream of my having the time, and the bike having the mechanical stability, for a 1000-mile trip. However, I don't think anyone here will say that that will not lead to an extreme case of "vibro-butt". Most of us, I think, are not in our twenties (or even thirties), so, I wonder, are some of you using gel pads on top of original seats? I don't actually know if they are available for just lashing over the seat. Otherwise, are you just so used to it that it doesn't matter any more. I know this is going to sound awkward, but I have found myself numb in places where I really like to have feeling (and not just at the grips). It could be that, before the recent breakdown, my engine was more imbalanced than normal. That should change with the current machine-shop work.

Richard
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.01. 2008 20:07 »
 I'm blessed with better insulation than most people because I practised assiduously in bars and cafes when I was young, and am now comfortable in middle-age being big - call it 6'5'' and 19 stone. Puts a load on the bike, but the upside is the well-covered body can take more cold than the norm and seems to absorb the vibes better than my thin friends'. But seriously, one of the nice things about the BSA twin is it doesn't shake all that much, surely? Although I don't ring its neck, it's yet to give me numb-bum or numb-anything. Rev it more and it starts to tell you it's an ill-balanced 360 degree twin, but just running around it seems fairly smooth. My modern Yamaha causes me to lose the fingers in my left hand at certain revs due to a tingle, but the BSA, viewed carefully through rose-tinted visor, is silken! 1000 miles at a go may be enough to make me revise that view but I don't doubt that (when i've screwed it back together tomorrow after recent hissy fit that wasn't its fault), the bike'd be up for it. Famous last words!! Groily
Bill

Offline Pim

• Moving Up
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #9 on: 20.01. 2008 01:19 »
haha, well I am in my 20's but haven't got that much .. euhm let's call it "insulation" :) so I?m looking forward to getting numb anywhere(because that means she's up and running :D) But that aside. I'm quite busy studying at the moment, so I haven't got much time for the bike. And that drives me crazy. I can't wait to get building again, but school's first. I also can't wait to get to know my bike, call it strange (well you probably wouldn't, but he) but as I'm building the bike gets more and more "personality" I just hope it's nice in ambulatory too.
Slow but steady...

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #10 on: 20.01. 2008 08:47 »
The most important thing to take on a long trip is your mobile phone !!!!!!!!!!!!

PBMW

« Reply #11 on: 20.01. 2008 16:45 »
Yea,  I've found that to be true.
Used to be,  You needed to take along a couple of fuses,  master link,  vice grips,  Zener diode,  chain lube,  maybe an inner tube and irons...
You had to WANT to go somewhere.
I have a couple of modern bikes also.  I was actually a little miffed when the battery went flat on my R1 after not being ridden in over a month...
How soon we forget.