Author Topic: New Member wants to trace bikes history  (Read 761 times)

MattC

New Member wants to trace bikes history
« on: 25.05. 2011 16:30 »
My name is Matt Cobbett and I have just purchased a 1958 A7SS.

I'm relative new to Classic Bike ownership and this is my first BSA. I brought the bike from a deceased estate. It had been stored in a garage for about 18 months.

I'm hoping someone in the forum may have some history on the bike. The previous owner had it for at least 10 years and lived in Enfield. He was obviously a true enthusiast and has added many stainless steel parts rearset footpegs and what looks like RGS mud guards and silences. It also has a silver tank and a round tank badges.

The bikes registration number is PSY 367. Does anybody know this bike?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
Re: New Member wants to trace bikes history
« Reply #1 on: 25.05. 2011 18:20 »
Hi Matt,
Welcome to the Forum and classic bike ownership (for which there is no known cure, once the bug bites, that's it!!!).
I'm afraid I don't know the bike, tracing history is often difficult.. The DVLA may be able to help, as might an ad in something like Old Bike Mart or internet magazine ads.. Either way it's a long shot, but I wish you luck.

You can check details of whether the year of your bike is correct (and whether the engine and frame left the factory at roughly the same time!!) via:-

http://www.british-only.com/pdf/framenumbers/BSAengineandframenumbers.pdf

You've come to the right place for help though - the Forum has been absolutely invaluable to me, I'm sure you will find the same..
All the best,

Adrian

1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 25.05. 2011 19:52 »
Hi Matt and welcome. You could try the BSA owners club http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/home.html     or the Vintage Motorcycle Club http://www.vmcc.net/  as they both hold records. All the best.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 25.05. 2011 20:39 »
Hi Matt,

I think you might have a problem tracing this one.  The DVLA records show that it was indeed manufactured in 1958 but was registered with PSY 367 on 9th. September 1996.  I suspect that the original registration number was sold and the bike now sports an age related number.  Without finding the original logbook and matching it up with your frame number I don't know of any other way of finding the original registration number.

Finding the original documentation would be a bonus but without the registration number you would have to rely on photographs either in the motorcycle press or on these bulletin boards, hope that somebody recognises the bike from years ago and actually remembers the original registration number.

The BSA Owners Club also might be able to help by putting a photograph in their monthly magazine and appealing to their members for information.  Long shots I know....but could be worth the effort.

Good luck with your quest,

Beezageezauk