Author Topic: strange running A10  (Read 3115 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: strange running A10
« Reply #15 on: 27.07. 2011 21:02 »
they did a variable advance , it was a cable and lever, folk I know with rockets and Shooting Stars say they do use a bit of retard on hills, probably stops pinking as well and that might be the reason sports models have the manual type.
Thinking cost wise it would surely have been cheaper for BSA to fit  a cable and lever than an AA unit?, and really it's no big thing to pull a lever back.
Of course there is also the haggle factor from providers, maybe Lucas did an all in one price for the maggie and the AA unit.
I recall in the Sixties Massey Ferguson fitted two fuel filters to their 35 tractor, Crossland had a contract with MF to supply fuel filters but CAV would not supply fuel pumps unless MF fitted CAV filters so two filters *doh*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 27.07. 2011 21:14 »
Lumpy running at road speed on light throttle makes me think rich mixture from worn needle jet or wrong needle clip position or retarded ignition timing.

If it's more of an even judder at half engine speed frequency, suspect throttles out of synch.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 27.07. 2011 21:49 »
Oh sure. Go ahead and get back on topic if you must. *smiley4*

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #18 on: 28.07. 2011 09:23 »
I commented on this because I didnt want people to think that their AA units should snap back, most don't and people would think they were faulty when they aren't. I mean, we have enough to worry about without that..  *smile*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 28.07. 2011 14:55 »
well men see we've strayed a bit- haha

still trying to get it right -   retarded the timing and problem still exist. Geezer up the street who lost a foot  racing his triumph back in the day (mentioned something about an illegal run from cop's - but know how tales go) swears we need  slightly bigger pilot's so awaiting that. we'll see

thx
m

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 28.07. 2011 23:10 »
Stumbling during no load is usually richness in my world. try dropping the needl a notch or two. If it's your slide then you'll have to find a friend with a slide with a  leaner cutaway to experiment with.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 30.07. 2011 00:10 »
Hi All,
I'm presuming that the bike is running a Monobloc carb??
Check the carb needle jet?
If the jet has a T on it then it doesnt have the air bleed holes drilled across the jet  *conf*
I had a bike with the same symptoms, and it turned out that it had a 106T needle jet fitted
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 30.07. 2011 19:49 »
As shocking as it may seem -  the larger pilot jets completely cleared up the problem - i am in disbelief but glad it did it - one-footed geezer up the street who suggested it is of course proud as can be  - say's happy that these "kids" (i am 46 today) still like the old bikes and take advice from there elder's - haha - have to buy him a 12 pack of bud-lite in thx!

anyways thanks all for suggestion  as per usual
mike

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 30.07. 2011 20:01 »
Great. Glad to hear it is worked out. Hope Bud-Lite is his favorite, otherwise, c'mon, you could do better than that!

Now, I'm no carburetor expert, but I thought the pilots were out of service once fuel was flowing past the needle with the throttle open. I assume that bigger pilots means richer mixture, which goes against the popular choice of solutions. I hope to come to understand what was going on here. It's been an interesting quest.

Richard L.

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 30.07. 2011 20:26 »
ManoS
 yes actual bud-lite is his usual "strolling about the hood" brand of choice -

i hear you about the pilots - it goes against all that i thought i knew about carbs - new pilots probably masking some other carb problem -  but friend has been tearing up the streets w/ his A10 and is loving it...

well till the mount on his custom oil tank cracked about an hr after getting the carbs dialed in that is....

gotta love british bikes!

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 01.08. 2011 09:49 »
Do you guys know what Bud Lite and making love in a canoe got in common?

They're both f***ing close to water!  *grins* *beer*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria